"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Breastplates and backplates  (Read 13209 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Breastplates and backplates
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-30, 14:46:17 »
Leganoth, if you're looking for plate just for faires and such, then go with the lighter gauge...you'll be thankful toward the end of the day.  If you're already wearing functional mail- well, I can tell you that if you're not used to wearing it, that alone would be taxing enough by day's end.

I normally start wearing a hauberk before summer...but I rarely put everything on because its such a hassle...but if you get used to carrying the weight it won't seem such a big deal when you're fully garbed.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-30, 22:23:30 »
Leganoth, have a look at this:

http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/armour/effigy/effigy%20analysis.html

It tells you a lot of info in a few "simple", but very useful, graphs. Remember 14th Century is 1300-1399, not 1400-1499, so as was said, minimal plate, and only for the wealthier. The crusades were over before the 14th cent, if you're going for historical accuracy.

Also, I have a breast/back from Allan at MercenarysTailor.com - custom made to my measurements, and only $211. It's 16 gauge steel, too. If you can't get measurements for top to bottom, waist, and width of the upper portion of the breastplate, don't order it unless you want to cut it up and modify it to fit - the top of the breastplate shouldn't be any wider than nipple to nipple, or you won't be able to cross your arms or move naturally without bruising or pinching. And plate armor is in no way a "one size fits all", and not even remotely close to mail fitment - it's a whole other beast to itself.

(I'm speaking from experience. I have a few pieces that I bought from a generic vendor, and I have pieces that were custom made - I'd use the generic pieces as decor, but I refuse to wear them after seeing how they "fit" - or rather, don't fit. You might get lucky, but unless you're the same measurements as whoever that "we made 50 of these, all the same" breastplate was made for, it's not going to fit right, and you'll kick yourself later.
Well, if I was going to get a plate or any expensive wear i would measure myself to see what size i should get so it usually fits nice

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-30, 22:25:42 »
Leganoth, if you're looking for plate just for faires and such, then go with the lighter gauge...you'll be thankful toward the end of the day.  If you're already wearing functional mail- well, I can tell you that if you're not used to wearing it, that alone would be taxing enough by day's end.

I normally start wearing a hauberk before summer...but I rarely put everything on because its such a hassle...but if you get used to carrying the weight it won't seem such a big deal when you're fully garbed.

I know, the chain gets heavy on the shoulders, I have a thin medieval padded shirt but i havent tried wearing it under the chain. It starts to get heavy on the shoulders after about 20-30 minutes

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-30, 22:28:53 »
What sites have coats of plates on them? Havent seen many of those, I like the look a little too

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-31, 01:46:31 »
When I get back to work on my mid 14th century kit, I'm planning on going with a mail hauberk with coat of plate over the body. On the legs I'm going with mail chausses and full splinted legs. I'm not sure yet if I will put anything over the mail on my arms or not nor have I completely settled on a helm.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-31, 18:45:06 »
What sites have coats of plates on them? Havent seen many of those, I like the look a little too

I've heard nothing but good things about this one in particular- I should caution you, in this game, you get what you pay for...you would be very lucky to find a quality piece on the cheap.  Not saying you can't, but you have to keep the mindset that you get quality when you pay for it.

http://www.wintertreecrafts.com/CoP.html

I'm in the process of acquiring a used brig...similar to the CoP but the plates are smaller fronted and backed by linen where the CoP is fixed to a leather garment thereby making it more durable, imho.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-31, 18:58:35 »
You could always have a go at making one yourself. There are plenty of patterns and instructions on the net.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-31, 19:05:52 »
You could always have a go at making one yourself. There are plenty of patterns and instructions on the net.
G.

links? ;)

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-31, 20:20:47 »

I know, the chain gets heavy on the shoulders, I have a thin medieval padded shirt but i havent tried wearing it under the chain. It starts to get heavy on the shoulders after about 20-30 minutes

The padded shirt isn't much good if you wear it OVER the mail...under, you'll notice a difference.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #25 on: 2011-09-01, 02:40:22 »

I've heard nothing but good things about this one in particular- I should caution you, in this game, you get what you pay for...you would be very lucky to find a quality piece on the cheap.  Not saying you can't, but you have to keep the mindset that you get quality when you pay for it.

http://www.wintertreecrafts.com/CoP.html

Sh*t thats expensive, and why are the drags so much!

I'm in the process of acquiring a used brig...similar to the CoP but the plates are smaller fronted and backed by linen where the CoP is fixed to a leather garment thereby making it more durable, imho.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2011-09-01, 13:51:50 »
The dags you mean; they're cut and shaped to fit, then riveted onto/under a matching leather piece.  Like I said previously, you want quality, you have to pay for it.

I went the cheap-o route, a lot of us did at one point and we've all come to the same conclusion- off the rack armor just doesn't cut it.

I've had cheap butted mail and experienced ring loss after the first faire season; bought a 'small' sized breast and back plate on eBay for less than $100 - it fit like it was made for a man much shorter and much fatter than me.

When it comes to hard armor, unless it was made specifically for you, you're just not going to be happy with it...something's not going to be right.  Even something so small as a 1/4 or 1/2 inch in difference can cause armor bites or leave you exposed.

You might give making your own a try...you can acquire the sheet metal and cut it to the shapes as outlined by the sites Sir Gerard posted.  I know Mad Matt sells his CoP instruction kit for like $10.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #27 on: 2011-09-01, 22:06:53 »
10 dollasr for a CoP kit? where do i sign up lol! and what skills would i need for that

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #28 on: 2011-09-01, 23:43:03 »
10 dollasr for a CoP kit? where do i sign up lol! and what skills would i need for that
$10 for the instructions, not a kit.  You still have to purchase steel, leather, rivets, buckles, etc.  ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #29 on: 2011-09-02, 00:44:58 »
$10 for the instructions, not a kit.  You still have to purchase steel, leather, rivets, buckles, etc.  ;)

oh god they dont sell that kinda stuff around here lol