"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: jolly knight  (Read 13212 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: jolly knight
« Reply #30 on: 2011-09-05, 20:38:40 »
Well this will be my final purchase for a while, I really wish there was a way to see things IRL before buying them online, cause if I did I wouldn't of bought a LOT of the stuff I did buy. Oh well guess it's time to sell some stuff...

The GDFB arming cap does look a bit rediculous but my other coif DOESNT work out so well when fighting, my helm then slides around in the middle of fighting, thankfully my arming cap prevents that. Before that I thought the tighter fit was BAD, but now that I fight it's a different story. Time to get a stuffed linen arming cap cause cotton doesn't work that well.

So what you're saying is it costs more to tailor a GDFB gambeson to fit you than it does to get a custom sized one from some Ukraine based company? The GDFB one WONT fit me cause I'm only 173 CM, somewhat glad I never bought it cause then I'd of wasted even more money. The one I DO have is a bit too small for me I realized as it feels WAY too tight, guess I'm a size medium not small even though I barely weigh anything despite eating tons of candy and fried foods. Custom fitted stuff would be best I believe.

John

• New Forum Member
  • I'm fairly new here
    • My personal website
Re: jolly knight
« Reply #31 on: 2011-09-06, 09:11:31 »
You're in USA, you'd be able to pick up a GDFB gambie much cheaper than me as shipping is a big part of the price in NZ. You may, or may not, be able to get one tailored at a cheaper price than I. The key is to find a place with a heavy sewing machine such as an upholsterer, cobbler, tent maker, or saddler. I'm of similar height to you at 172cm, though a little broader, and I swam in the gambie when it first arrived. I think you'd have to have the arms tailored as well, which would add to the cost. Luckily the supplier said I could return it if I couldn't get it tailored. Even tailored the gambie is still quite bulky - which means any armour has to be made big enough to fit over it, and that means a lot of unnecessary weight. You'll be happier with a bespoke gambie.

I too have wasted money through purchasing from a state of ignorance. Sugar loaf helm that I couldn't see out of, stainless steel sword that was made of butter, CAS/Hanwei sword (one of the early ones) which is poorly balanced, so bad that my primary tactic is to cover myself with it, close, grapple, throw and then thrust. Numerous staves that broke because they were made of the wrong timber - apparently Aussie ash isn't the same ash as found in the northern hemisphere. So I'm also taking the quality route, surely cheaper. Just made the final payment on an Albion I33 and Sherriff today, next is paying for scabbards from DBK, then some kit from JKA, then... :).