"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Maille rings  (Read 7891 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Maille rings
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-31, 18:18:38 »
So my rings did come today, only problem is the riveting tool was on back order as well which irritates me to an extreme. Also there weren't nearly enough rings in the bag as I had hoped as well as them not matching my Icefalcon hauberk, they're NOT blackened and they are .5 MM bigger than the ones from Icefalcon, so much for making maille gloves now I guess I'm gonna have to make mittens instead. I AM impressed by how neatly punched the holes are, I just don't want to rivet each individual ring so anyone know where I can get solid rings?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-31, 18:42:19 »
???
i don't get it. are your rivets wedge and your shirt is pin rivet?

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-31, 18:56:15 »
Nope they're both ALL dome riveted, I just don't feel like riveting extra rings when I could save some effort by making some of the rings solid. They also lack the blackened texture the Icefalcon stuff has so I gotta keep them oiled. I only planned to make maille gloves with them anyway but I think they're too big to do that with now so I gotta make mittens instead.

Heres a pic of how they look:
« Last Edit: 2011-08-31, 22:37:55 by Sir Ulrich »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2011-09-01, 18:22:27 »
A difference of .5mm would be hard to see, even up close, unless someone is really into armor and would know what to look for. I wouldn't worry about that too much, but I know exactly how you feel with matching up everything.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #19 on: 2011-09-01, 19:01:24 »
A difference of .5mm would be hard to see, even up close, unless someone is really into armor and would know what to look for. I wouldn't worry about that too much, but I know exactly how you feel with matching up everything.
Add to this the fact that ring variation exists in historical pieces and I don't think you have much to worry about.  :)  Even a medieval master would've had difficulty keeping mail rings within 0.5 mm tolerances when everything was done by hand.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2011-09-01, 20:01:47 »
Most of the rings that are missing a rivet don't even need anything done due to the ears overlapping they're not coming out anytime soon unless I force them out, I just get irritated because I want EVERY ring riveted. I think I don't even need to replace the ring, just put a rivet in and peen it over and I should be fine. I am gonna buy more of these rings and buy a bluing solution to blacken them then I'm gonna make mittens or 3 finger gloves with them. I am really impatient about the riveting tool arriving though.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2011-09-02, 20:30:32 »
Hang in there on the riviting tool. I bought one from Historic Enterprises for dome-head rivited mail, and it just doesn't work with the IceFalcon mail - different size dome, or something. I bought the IceFalcon pliers, and they work fantastic. I suspect the HE dome heads are slightly larger than the IceFalcon ones, which I would have never guessed is the case before. If you have GDFB rings, get the GDFB pliers; if you have IceFalcon rings, get the IceFalcon pliers; etc.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2011-09-05, 20:42:50 »
Thats what worries me the most, guess I'm gonna have to buy Icefalcon stuff again to fix it up a bit. I haven't lost ANY rings though, just a few rivets thanks to riveted rings being MUCH better constructed than butted rings.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2011-09-06, 15:08:28 »
Hey, not to derail the thread, but any of you know of a good rivet tool?  I'm in need of one to do some riveting on belts, harnesses and such.  Also, is there a separate tool for removing them?  Thanks, all.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-09-06, 19:16:49 »
Hey, not to derail the thread, but any of you know of a good rivet tool?  I'm in need of one to do some riveting on belts, harnesses and such.  Also, is there a separate tool for removing them?  Thanks, all.

A soft piece of metal (for curved head rivits) and a ball-pien hammer. A drill and/or grinder to remove them with (which should hopefully never happen). If you're going to do "pop" rivits, there's a tool for that, but I won't even mention it because pop rivits make medievalists cry. ;)

It's been a while since I last set rivits, but I still have the tools for it if you want to give it a shot here before buying anything.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2011-09-06, 19:25:24 »
That sounds good...I'll have to get it together and take pics in order to explain what it is I'm doing.  I'll PM you once I get it all laid out.  You'll laugh, probably, as it'll seem simple to you so maybe I'll just tell you.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€