"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Maille rings  (Read 7960 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Maille rings
« on: 2011-08-12, 03:35:43 »
Ok so I ordered some rings from GDFB 2 months ago and they still haven't come. I am gonna call them tomorrow to cancel the order because I for one am tired of waiting for something I could easily get elsewhere. Anyone know any other good sources of riveted maille rings that I can order to replace the rings that are damaged in my hauberk. (only a few rings are missing rivets, maybe around roughly 10 or 15). I don't mind them not matching the rest of the hauberk as long as they got a blackened texture on them I'm not too picky about what kind of rivet they have as long as I can buy a riveting tool cheaply.. Debating on just getting them from Icefalcon cause I know if I order them there I WILL get them...

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Maille rings
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-12, 14:16:12 »
I believe Icefalcon's the one to go to these days...I think Rautskegg knows him; www.icefalcon.com I think it is.

I wonder what the hold up is with GDFB though, they're usually very good at getting product out, or so I thought.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-12, 15:02:42 »
Yeah, I back-ordered some through KoA months ago, and still no word. No idea what's going on.

This was with the Sugarloaf helm that I ended up selling to Ser William. That gives you an idea of the time-frame.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-12, 15:03:23 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-12, 15:17:38 »
Wow...I've had that myself for two months now.  :)
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-13, 01:50:51 »
Hey, the Hauberk I ordered is GDFB. Came in less than a week.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-13, 20:22:53 »
IceFalcon is backordered as much or longer sometimes; I think I waited 3 1/2 months for my mail skirt. His prices are reasonable and he's very responsive if you contact him, so I've bought from him a few times, but a quick phone call or email to see if he has them in stock might be good. GDFB backorders can take a while sometimes, and if it's backordered from GDFB, the only chance of getting it now would be someone who has it in stock already.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-15, 15:20:58 »
You bought a maille skirt?  You're gonna armor up your wife?  Been trying to talk my wife into doin that for the past coupla years.  lol

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-15, 18:35:28 »

lol. That's why I usually refer to it as a mail fauld. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-15, 20:40:39 »
tee-hee cross dressing knights!

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-16, 03:14:25 »
I'm quite annoyed that my rings aren't arriving anytime soon. As I said I planned to use them to replace the crappy rings in my hauberk (prolly roughly 30 rings to replace I would gather, judging by the 5 rings that the rivets came OUT of >_>) and to make myself a set of maille gloves or mittens.
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?77236-My-quot-new-quot-maille-gloves...-Mark-I
Now that is exactly what I want to make basically, a set of gloves like that with riveted maille on the back of them, maybe even the plated cuffs as well. Just not sure the diameter the rings are if thats 9MM or 6 MM maille, I'd assume you need 6MM due to fingers being smaller.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-16, 14:36:26 »
That is a rather ambitious project, Ulrich...lookin forward to see what you come up with.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-16, 14:58:50 »
I was going to suggest Therion Arms riveted maille mitten swatches which, unfortunately, appear to be sold. :(

All the GDFB mail mitten rings are round and all the butted and riveted appear to be back ordered everywhere (even on the GDFB corporate website).
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-16, 21:28:30 »

Can I borrow that idea? I posted about it today on another forum and someone gave me a description of how to fix the neckline - and I realized they probably thought I meant shirt. Sigh.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-17, 13:40:32 »

Yeah, that will probably help avoid misunderstandings. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2011-08-17, 14:24:14 »

Can I borrow that idea? I posted about it today on another forum and someone gave me a description of how to fix the neckline - and I realized they probably thought I meant shirt. Sigh.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...that made my morning, Sir James.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who 'misunderstood'!  lol