"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 188894 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #90 on: 2012-02-04, 14:38:54 »
Sir William,

Thank you for all your insight to the knighting. I am currently putting it on hold until I am told that I may set a date for the knighting ceremony. I also have begun to post in several other sections of the forum. I will do my best.

I remain, your most obedient servant,

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #91 on: 2012-02-04, 15:05:21 »
This weeks Knight of the week: "The Knights von Finckenstein." - The family is originally from Finckenstein and took their name after the mountain of the same name. Sir Fredrich von Finckenstein already appeared in 996 in a tournament at Brunswick. Finckenstein castle was an important oupost over looking the Gail Valley and the Carintian estates around Villach. The castle appears for the first time in 1143 with Sir Gotwald von Finckenstein. Their coat of arms was chosen as "Under one leadership" (represented by the star) "should the family stay together in good times and bad times" (represented by the rising and setting half moons.)

The junior branch of the Finckensteins joined the Order of St. John and participated in the Third Crusade. Sir Konrad von Finckenstein (the founder of the Prussian line) participated in the Prussian Campaign in the 13th century with 100 knights of the Order of St. John in its drive to conquer Old Prussia alongside the Teutonic Knights. Under the same name, the house appears in 1451 with Sir Michael Finckenstein who shortened his family name to Finck. But in the 1600's the family became known as Finck von Finckenstein as counts of the Holy Roman Empire (Reichsgrafen) and Counts (Grafen) in Prussia.

Count Ernst Finck von Finckenstein (1633-1717) was Elector of Prussia, Chamberlain and Counsellor.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #92 on: 2012-02-05, 14:20:11 »
Thank you for all your insight to the knighting. I am currently putting it on hold until I am told that I may set a date for the knighting ceremony. I also have begun to post in several other sections of the forum. I will do my best.

Excellent. We're currently discussing how we're going to handle knightings of the founding members and what sort of timeframe this will occur in. We'll make details available after they get worked out.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #93 on: 2012-02-05, 14:25:22 »
Sir Edward,

Thank you for that information. As I said, once the 3 months are up, I will wait for you to tell me that I can be knighted. At that time I will try to work out a date for the knighting. I am trying to put more on different topics on the message board. I hope this meets with your approval.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #94 on: 2012-02-05, 21:06:49 »
Sir Edward,

Thank you for that information. As I said, once the 3 months are up, I will wait for you to tell me that I can be knighted. At that time I will try to work out a date for the knighting. I am trying to put more on different topics on the message board. I hope this meets with your approval.

Sir John

Sir John,

Don't worry too much about the 3 months. None of the current knights were knighted after only 3 months, it's a "minimum" but not a "standard". I believe all of the current knights were 6+ months after membership in the Order before being knighted. They were all, as best as I recall, sponsored and offered knighthood from the existing knights when they were deemed worthy, and did not actively pursue sponsors. As Sir Edward said, we're at a crossroads with some of the other founding members and their knightings, and we're relatively new with only 5 knights currently, so things will be slow for a bit as we continue to revise and refine things, and work with the other founding members. For now, enjoy chatting with us on the rest of the board in other topics, as you have been, and things will come in time.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #95 on: 2012-02-07, 02:23:44 »
Indeed, all of the founding members have, if anything, been rather reluctant about the whole affair. As a founding member myself, I will tell you that I always felt in a way unworthy to stand as a true equal with such esteemed and worthy knights, mere stripling of a youth that I am.

I will remember the day, June 9th, 2011 on the day of the first knightings of the Order of the Marshal (months after we had first created the order, which was officially created on November 11th of the previous year) that I was asked by our Knight Commander Sir Ed and Sir Brian as when I actually started planning for my knighting.

I do not know the specifics of the other Knight-Brethren of the Order, but that is my take on it. Keep on the course, Sir John, continue with your enthusiasm. Allow us to know you, and get to know us, and all will come. The Knights of The Order of the Marshal are good and chivalrous, and recognize merit where it be found. Rest assured good Sir John, keep along the path, and do the Order honor, and you will count yourself, God willing, among her chosen Knights. 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #96 on: 2012-02-11, 18:35:03 »
This weeks Knight of the week: "Sir Kuno von Liechtenstein" -Not much is known about his early life as a knight. He was a relative of Sir Urlich von Liechtenstein (more on him another time) and was a member of the Teutonic Order and served as a Grand Commander of the Order. He was one of the best swordsman of his time. He is most well known for his actions in the Battle of Tannenburg in 1410. While on route to the King of Poland in Krakow, as a delagate for his Order, He was stopped by two polish knights who attacked him. Sir Kuno was astonished at this and told them to lower their spears. At that moment, one spear was at Sir Kuno's breast but his powerful hand broke the spear before it could do him harm. Back at the king's palace, he told the king of the encounter and how they disrespected the cross on his tunic. That evening the knights, guests and burgers were assembled, and the two polish knights had been sentenced by their court to be decapitated.

The Battle of Grunwald was also in 1410. The Germans had the best field leaders in the world. The Teutonic Forces were commanded by Sir Kuno. During the battle, Sir Kuno was captured by one of the relatives of the decapitated knights. He was challanged to a duel to the death, Sir Kuno was thrust to the ground during the combat...he asked forgiveness, but none was given. His opponent thrust hos sword twice into Sir Kuno's neck, killing him.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #97 on: 2012-02-18, 16:00:26 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Guy VI de La Roche-Gyon" - The family were lords if the fief of the castle La Roche-Gyon from the 10th till the 15th century. Guy VI held the titles: Lord de la Rochefoucauld, Lord of Verteuil, Lord of Marathon, Lord of de Saint Claud, Lord of St. Laurent, Lord of Blanzae and Cellefouim, Lord of la Rocheygyon, Lord of Rocheville, Lord of Bernville, Knight Councollor and Chamberlain to the King (of France), Duke of Guyenne and Captain of the guard of the city of Harfleur. My Lord!!! (excuse the pun) That's a LOT of titles for one man!

In 1409 he married Perette de la Riviere. The Hundred Years war between England and France proved to be a hard time for Sir Guy. By 1415 negotiations came to a halt and the English landed at Chef-en-Caux, France. Things went well for the English until they reached the Somme River. They hoped to slip by before the French saw them. But instead they were forced to fight them in the Battle of Agincourt, Sir Guy was at this battle and it was there that he was killed.  After the battle, the treaty of Troyes imposed the depostion od Charles VI and the Regency of the King of England in 1420.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #98 on: 2012-02-23, 02:19:00 »
Sir Kuno von Liechtenstein sounds familiar to me; I think I may have seen his name in one of my books about the crusades and/or templars. He met quite the gruesome end.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #99 on: 2012-02-23, 21:25:27 »
An end fitting of a knight, to end one's life on the battlefield, especially as a member of a miltary order was the highest goal and honor.
Though I will not condone the actions of a knave who does not give mercy to he that ask for it in good faith.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #100 on: 2012-02-25, 16:02:31 »
Well, the Liechtenstine's had a history. I will be doing one on my favorite, Ulrich...whose name was stolen by Thacher in the movie: A knight's Tale. He was my kind of knight...excentric...wearing the clothes of Venus during one tournament circuit, and King Arthur during another tournament circuit. That's the kind of thing I would do. I wonder how many knight he beat in his lifetime?...since he also was never defeated in tournament, and in only one tournament, he beat 308 knights! He gives William Marshal a run for the money.

I guess if you're a carreer soldier, maybe dieing in the end would be right. But I fought in Vietnam, and am glad I came out of it alive...but then I wasn't a carreer soldier, although I joined and didn't get drafted.

Sir John
« Last Edit: 2012-02-25, 16:04:29 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #101 on: 2012-02-25, 16:46:07 »
I thought since I did one on Frankenstein...it was time to do one on another one of haloween favorites.

This weeks Knight of the week: "Ritter Vlad III Tepes" - Vlad III was the third son of Vlad II Dracul. [When you became a member of the Knights of the Dragon (a Hungarian Order) you could attach the title "Dracul" to your name.] Vlad III was often called "Dracul-la" or son of the dragon. Vlad III was born in 1328. Their home was Bran Castle, originally built by the Teuronic Knights in 1212. Vlad's line was descendant of the "Szekely" people,  a significant part of the Hungarian minority in Romania, and added their emblems: a crescent and a star to their arms. Vlad II became Voivode of what was then Wallachia in 1436. In that same year, at the age of 8, Vlad III was knighted into the Order of the Dragon. Vlad III was sent to the Ottoman court to be educated in languages and warfare. In 1447, Vlad II was murdered and the following year, Vlad III became Voivode. He became popular because he eliminated the nobles and replaced them with commoners.

In 1459 Pope Pius II called for a new Crusade, but his only  supporter was Vlad III.  The Turks then invaded Wallachia, but Vlad III defeated them, crossed over into their land, devistating it in response to their invasion.  The Sultan raised a new army and again attacked Wallachia, but again, Vlad III beat them. Vlad III was becoming popular with his people. Matthias Corvinus (I think I did one on him, or will be) feared Vlad's power, had him arrested and thrown in the dungeon, where he remained for 10 years. While in prison, the Turks again invaded Wallachia, but this time the Turks won. Matthias finally turned to Vlad, had him released from prison and let him run the military. But during a battle in 1476, he was killed and his body was decapitated and his head sent to the Sultan in Constantanople.

Vlad III earned the name "Tepes" (Impailer) for impaling the Turks on stakes. Romanian folklore paints Vlad III as a hero of the common man against the oppression of the nobles and he is remember as the prince (voivode) who defended his people from the Turks. He is viewed as the father of their country and has all but a halo of sainthood over his head.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-25, 16:54:48 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #102 on: 2012-02-25, 16:57:18 »
has all but a halo of sainthood over his head.

Which is in Constantinople ;)
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #103 on: 2012-02-25, 18:25:54 »
Vlad III is actually a much more interesting character than "common" history tells us. Sir John, I'd like to expand on your info a bit, if I may.

It is thought he learned his brutal ways when he was young. As a child, Vlad was a hostage of the turks, along with one of his brothers; for 6 years. Stories of his captivity include a daily "start off the morning", in which all of the hostages were brought forward, and one was selected, tortured and executed quite gruesomely in front of everyone. They would announce "tomorrow may be your turn" before putting them to hard labor. While Vlad eventually was freed (escaped?), he never forgot or forgave the cruelty of the Turks, and sought to destroy as many as he could  in the worst ways possible. This fire would only be fueled by two more major upcoming events.

The majority of his victims were boyars (nobles) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyar), the class of people responsible for the conspired assassination of his father, and the death of one of his brothers. They killed his brother by burying him alive. He started off his rampage by hosting a feast for local royalty, including those he believed responsible for his father and brother's death. As they were in his land, and law meant little ... he had them all arrested. He enslaved some of them, and impaled the rest. Thus began his "crusade" against the hundreds of thousands he would later kill. It is said he learned that impaling was so greatly feared, he would use it as his primary offensive weapon.

We all hear the stories of his impalings, and I will spare the gory details of how much worse it was historically than they usually tell us - but there was "a method to the madness" in many ways. When he campaigned against the Turks in retaliation for their invasion, it is said that he rounded up as many enemies as he could, surrounded one of the cities, and created a wall of impalements encircling the entire city. Those still alive and in the city were so terrified they was little resistance and they were crushed. It is also said that the impalements he left in his wake caused reinforcing armies of the Turks to flee in terror. Since he impaled so many at a time, the higher ranked enemies (when he knew who they were) would be impaled on taller stakes, to separate them from the "common soldiers" and "highlight" his prize kills.

He is famous for being undiscriminating of men, women or children. It is thought that Vlad may have had "lady troubles" in early life. When he heard of unfaithful women in his domain, he would have them tortured and executed in absurdly vile ways which I will not even go into. He also abhorred laziness and dishonesty, which were commonly perceived traits of the royalty; when he heard of merchants defrauding the commoners, he had the merchants executed, and left them as examples to be "good, honest people" lest they meet his wrath. His "citizens" who were commoners thought him a true "champion of the people", and when he had the aforementioned feast and executed many of the local royalty, he put commoners in their place.

Years later, after his castle was overrun and he was defeated, his wife is said to have jumped to her death from the top of one of the towers; she is never seen or heard from again (at least in recorded history). Vlad managed to flee through a secret escape tunnel and attempted to gain support from the king and rebuild to continue to wage war; it was denied, and the king had him imprisoned for 12 years. It is said while he was imprisoned, he continue to impale victims on small shards of wood; mice, birds, bugs, and whatever other hapless creature happened to wander near or into his cell. He was eventually released in 1476. He attempted to regain power after his release, and as Sir John said, he died in that battle against the Turks, having a small army of a few thousand.

Interestingly enough, Vlad's remains were taken two places. The victorious Turks took his head, but the people of Wallachia took his body. He was buried at Snagov monastery, in an almost saint-like manner; indoors, in a vault built into the floor, in front of a small room with an altar. Or so said the legend ... because when his body was later exhumed from there, the bones were identified as horse bones! Where his actual body is, and why, is a mystery.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #104 on: 2012-02-26, 01:19:24 »
blah blah i vant to bite your neck!