"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 188927 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #120 on: 2012-03-18, 14:30:21 »
Thanks...I'm doing the best I can. I won't burden you with specifics....but thanks for your concern.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #121 on: 2012-03-24, 14:13:07 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir John Beauchamp" - Sir John was born around 1316 in Warwick Castle and was the younger son of Guy de Beauchamp, 10th Earl of Warwick. The "Hundred Years War" began in 1338 in which Sir John took part. He next participated under King Edward III in the battle of Vironfosse in 1339. In 1340 he fought in the battle of Sluys. In 1344 he was finally knighted and became and the 10th knight of "The Order of the Garter." Sir John carried the royal standard at the battle of Crecy in 1346 and was present at the battle and surrender of Calis, of which town he was appointed Captain in 1348. In the same year, he was provided by the King with a surcoat of Indian Silk. About the same time he was advanced to the degree pf Knight Bannerettte.

In 1350 he was summoned to Parliment as "Baron of Warwick" and held the post of "Constable" of the Tower of London. By the time of his death in 1360 he had acquired the manors of Frankley, Stratford, Tony and Newton in Worchestershire and the manor of Brockenhurst in Hampshire. He died without issue.
« Last Edit: 2012-03-24, 14:14:27 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #122 on: 2012-03-27, 02:54:59 »
Warwick is one of the few castles I've visited. They didn't even have that much history in the tour. Thank you, Sir John.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #123 on: 2012-03-31, 14:43:18 »
Sir James,
That's only part of my research. I usually do an 8x10 sheet including pictures, and put them in a book and also hang them on the wall. If you ever do come here, you'll see that my house is like a medieval museum.

Today's Knight of the Week: "Sir Paul von Liechtenstein" - Sir Paul was born around 1460. His mother was Fuchs von Fuchsberg. (I did one of a knight Fuchsberg...funny how they seem to all be related somewhere along the way.) In 1482 he entered the service to Archduke Sigismund and in 1489 he became Lord Chamberlain and Treasurer to the Emperor Maximillian I. In 1499 he recieved the fief of Castle Cornu and became a Baron. In 1505 he bought the manor Schenna bei Merano and he became the Lord of Merano. In 1505 he was awarded the Regency of Rattenberg, In the same year he recieved membership in the Order of the Golden Fleece and was knighted by the Kaiser. He died in 1513.
« Last Edit: 2012-03-31, 14:45:45 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #124 on: 2012-04-07, 15:02:43 »
This week's knight of the week: "Heinrich Reuss von Plauen" - The Reuss family named all of their male shildren "Heinrich" in honor of Henry (Heinrich) VI, Holy Roman Emperor (1190-1197).  Little is known about this Heinrich's early life, or his date of birth. He first became Lord of Reuss-Plauen and then joined the Teutonic Knights at an early age. By 1420 he was the governor of Dirschau in Prussia. In 1433 he became Commander of the Teutonic Knights in Balga, and by 1440 Governor of Natangia. From 1441, Sir Heinrich held the position of Grand Hospitaller and the Commander of Elblag. He participated in the 13 year's wars (1454-1466). The last Eastern Prussian city held by the Polish was taken by Sir Heinrich in 1455. Sir Heinrich became famous for destroying the Polish army in the Battle of Konitz. After the second peace of Thorn in 1466, he became Commander of Prussian Holland. In 1467, after the death of his Uncle: Grand Master Ludwig von Erlichshausen, he assumed command of the Teutonic Order.  He was declared the 32nd Grand Master of the Order in 1469. In 1470, on his way back to Prussia, after paying homage to Casimir IV, he suffered a stroke and became paralyzed. He died shortly after that.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #125 on: 2012-04-07, 15:52:18 »
I like it. Good choice on Military Orders there  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #126 on: 2012-04-14, 13:59:32 »
This week's Knight of the Week: "Sir Radulphus de Freschenville" - The Freschenville family came to England with William the Conqueror. Sir Ralph was born before 1240 and became a knight in 1253. The second baron's war began in 1263 in which all the lands were forfited, but were returned after paying a large fine, which Sir Ralph paid most of. In 1266, Sir Ralph inherited the manors after his father's death.

Sir Ralph was summoned to attend King Edward I in Salisbury in 1297. In 1301, Sir Ralph, now Lord of Stavely, Derby, Devonshire and Northampton, was summoned to Parliment and pronounced Baron of Crich.  He was also given more manors to govern, too numerous to mention here. Sir Ralph attended Edward In in the Scottish Wars. In 1325, in the war against Robert the Bruce, he was killed.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-14, 14:00:23 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #127 on: 2012-04-21, 14:49:28 »
This week's knight of the week: "Sir Niccolo III D'Este" - The House of Este dates back to Charlemagne in the early 9th century. Sir Niccolo was born on 1383 and inherited the estate when he was only 10 years old. He became Marquess of Ferrara in 1393. In 1397, at the age of 13, he was married to Gigliola da Carrara. In 1403 he joined the league against the Duke of Milan and was appointed Captain General of the Papal Army by the Pope. in 1403 Niccolo was knighted. In 1407 Sir Niccolo made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land where he dubbed 5 knights of his retinue. In 1425 he was again chosen as commander in chief, this time of the anti-Visconti League. In 1433 the Emperor visited Ferrara and in recognition as a prestigious leader in Italy, Niccilo was chosen with a seat in his council. In 1441 Sir Niccolo died after the Christmas feast. Many suspected poison. (An interesting side note...a  later relative married the infamous Lucretia Borgia.)
« Last Edit: 2012-04-21, 14:52:04 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #128 on: 2012-04-28, 01:15:18 »
Interesting bio Sir John, well done and many thanks for your contributions!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #129 on: 2012-04-29, 15:34:31 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Joan of Arc" - She was born in Champagne in 1412. It was an area disputed between England and France. Although Joan of Arc never made a statement as to the date at which the voices revelaed her mission, it seems that the call of God was made to her gradually. By 1428, she no longer doubted the voices. Joan made preparations for the campaign, instead of the sword offerred her by the King of France, she used an ancient sword burried behind the altar in the Chapel of St, Catherine de Fierbois. She had a special standard made for her to carry in battle. While she never claimed to have a coat of arms, Charles VII gave her one without her request. She rarely wore a helmet, as she wanted her men to see her face clearly. (One painting has her with a blue felt cap- which I used in my set)

There were five great deeds accimolished by Joan: #1the raising of the seige at Orleans...her first victory against great odds, #2- the victory of Patay, #3- the reconcillation at Sully-sur-Loire, #4- the "bloodless march" (the most extraordinary campaign in history and #5- The coronation of King Charles VII in 1429.

In the defense of Compiegne against a English attack, her followers were driven back and she was pulled down from her horse and became a prisoner of the English. The English feared Joan with superstitious terror but were determined at all costs to take her life. On 21 February 1431 Joan appeared before the judges who decided that if she refused to retract her visions and voices, that she would be condemed as a witch and burned at the stake. She refused and the sentence was carried out on May 30 1431.

24 years later, her case was reopened with the consent of the Pope. The illegality of her trial was made clear. In 1869 she was confirmed by the Pope as the hearing of the voices and visions was a miracle of God. Pope Pius X formally made this a decree in 1909. And in 1920 Pope Benedict canonized her as "St. Joan."
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #130 on: 2012-04-29, 20:57:04 »
Ah yes, Joan of Arc.  Her story is an amazing one indeed.  Thank you Sir John!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #131 on: 2012-04-30, 13:19:51 »

Joan of Arc is a really fascinating story. She was never actually knighted, but I think she probably would have been eventually (there are a rare few other cases of women being knighted, so IMHO I think she would have managed it sooner or later, with her wit and charisma).
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #132 on: 2012-04-30, 14:01:33 »
She was never actually knighted, but I think she probably would have been eventually (there are a rare few other cases of women being knighted, so IMHO I think she would have managed it sooner or later, with her wit and charisma).

To me, I think she would have been knighted (if she lived a bit longer) and she would have done the job right. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #133 on: 2012-05-05, 15:05:37 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Rodrigo Diaz de Bivar" - Better known as "El Cid." He was born around 1043 in the Kingdom of Castile/Leon. As a boy he was brought up in the court of Prince Sancho, one of King Fernando's sons. In 1063 the prince dubbed him as a knight. He went with the Prince to lift the seige of Graus in the same year. In December of that year King Fernando divided his kingdom into two...Sancho was crowned King Sancho II of Castile. He appointed Rodrigo his chief marshal. In 1068, war broke out with Leon. Rodrigo led Sancho's Army but the battle ended in a stalemate. In 1071 Rodrigo was involved in a trial by combat to settle a boundary dispute between Navarra and Castile. Rodrigo won nand from then on was called "El Campeador" (The Great Warrior). In 1072 Sancho and his brother were at war again. Sancho was captured, but was rescued by Rodrigo. Sancho won the war and imprisoned his brother. Later that year one of Alfonso's knights slipped into Sancho's camp and killed him.

In 1074, Rodrigo married Alfonso's neice and he served Alfonso in important posts. In 1081 Alfonso went off to lay a seige but Rodrigo was sick and did not join him. An army of Moors soon invaded Castile and Rodrigo fought them, taking 7,000 prisoners. The nobles became even more jealous of him and accused him of antagonizing the Moors and convinced Alfonso to banish Rodrigo from Castile. In 1085 Alfonso set out to rule all Spain, but he lost badly. Alfonso asked Rodrigo to return, which he did, and was given great honors.  But in 1089, Rodrigo's enimes convinced Alfonso to banish him again. In 1090 the Moors came back and Alfonso and Rodrigo again reconcilled. In 1094, the Moors surrendered to Rodrigo. The Moors called him "El Cid" (The Chief). Late in 1096, Rodrigo again won a great battle against the Moors. In 1098 Rodrigo won yet another great victory against the Moors. But Rodrigo's luck ran out in 1099 when an arrow mortally wounded him in another great battle. He intended to ride out even if dead! During the night he died, and following his orders, Rodrigo's body was tied to his horse and it was sent out at the head of the army. The Moors believed he had come back from the dead and they fled to the sea and 20,000 were drowned trying to get to their ships! They were completely defeated never to return again!

King Alfonso recognized Rodrigo as the nobelest knight in his entire kingdom!
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces