Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

<< < (6/77) > >>

Sir William:
Vairy...I like the look of it.  Like opposing bells.

Sir John of Felsenbau:
Thanks...I'm not an expert in blazoning, but that sounds right.

Knight of the week: Sir Henry Bodrugan V. : The oldest record of the Bodrugan family was with Henry I (d. 1184.) The family sired a long list of knights until the 16th century, when they died out. Henry Bodrugan V was born in 1426. He supported the House of York during the war of the Roses. In 1476 he was finally knighted. In 1483, a rebellion arose at Cotchele. The plan was to dispose Richard III and place Edward V back on the throne. Sir Henry helped quell this rebellion. In 1485, Sir Henry was appointed comptroller of the King's household. Meanwhile Henry Tudor gathered allies abroad. They landed near Milford Haven in August of the same year. Richard and his followers took their position at Bosworth Field. At the battle of Stoke (June 16, 1487), Henry Tudor's forces won and he was crowned king. He proclaimed that all those who fought for King Richard III to be arrested for treason.  Sir Henry escaped by jumping off the cliff by his castle to a boat below and he escaped to France, where he finally died in 1502. (Henry Tudor married Elizabeth of York, thus uniting the two families. He created the Tudor Rose which ncombined the Tudor red rose with the White Rose of York.)

Sir William:
Now there's a tale worth remembering...I am somewhat familiar with parts of the War of the Roses, but did not know about this particular participant.  Nicely done, Sir John!

Sir James A:
Jumped off a cliff?? It seems his heraldry should have an eagle, or wings, or something on it. That's a feat few would dare undertake.

Sir William:
I should be surprised if, given his circumstances, there were more people less inclined to do it.  Remember, he faced certain death, or at the very least, incarceration leading to death if he'd surrendered.

Certain death vs probable death- I think probable would win out every time.  I know I wouldn't have hesitated- but that's because I like livin'!  lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version