Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

(1/77) > >>

Sir John of Felsenbau:
As stated before, I plan, but don't guantee, to post a set for a different knight each week. I made the surcoats and shields and fixed up the helmets to match original crests.

This week is Ritter Goerg von Frankenstein...yea...you heard a lot about the monster, but there was a family of knights. First heard of in 500 AD- the word means "stone of the Franks." First use of the name Frankenstien was in Cologne in 948AD. Castle Frankenstein is situated on top of a hill in the village of NiederBeerbach. It was erected by Lord Conrad II in 1240. Ritter Georg Frankenstein, son of Philip von Frankenstein was supposed to have fought a dragon terrozing the area. He did kill it, but he died of wounds from the dragon. (Remember, a large lizard, like the Komodo dragon) could have been  similar to the one he fought. They both died in 1531. Other Frankensteins were knight's commanders.  In 1662, the family patriarch, Lord Johannes I von Frankenstein decided to sell the lordship. In 1673, Johann Conrad Dippel bought the castle and eventually adopted the Frankenstein name, even though he wasn't a "Frankenstein." He was an alchemist and dabbled in various unorotdox experiments...and it was HE and NOT a FRANKENSTEIN, that the book and moviews were based on. He was famous for inventing the dye: Prussian Blue.

Sir Wolf:
very cool thanks

Sir James A:
Very interesting, especially the tie-in with the books/movies. Thanks for posting this. :)

Sir Rodney:
Well done!  You have a great deal of energy.  :)

Here's a link to a myArmoury topic by Thomas R. who belongs to a WMA group that trains and occasionally camps within Castle Frankenstein.  How much fun would it be to show up for a practice in your creation! 8)

How to carry your swords

Joshua Santana:
Amazing!  Well done Sir John!  Very nice article!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version