Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

<< < (7/77) > >>

Sir John of Felsenbau:
This week's Knight: Sir Marrok of Bedegraine. (Sometimes I like to research interesting legendary knights like this one.) He lived under the rule of Uther Pendragon.  The area: Bedegraine, is now called Sherwood Forrest. In that area lived many beasts and robbers and help to rid the area from them was sent to Uther. Uther sent the young, untried Sir Marrok. He did complete his task like a lion, so Uther gave him the crouched lion as his coat of arms...When Uther died, Marroks toubles began. When he left for Camelot, he was told to marry the lady Irma, which he did. But the lady did not like the match, and was a soceresss. She made (a figure of a wolf) and a potion and gave it to Marrok to drink. At once he turned into a wolf. Marrok ecaped into the woods where he lived until he came to meet Sir Tristan of Lyonesse who was sent to kill the wolf. But Sir Tristen did not kill Sir Marrok as a wolf, when he found the wolf harmless, he could not do it. He told the wolf about a secret door that Merlin made, to enter the castle. When Marrok entered he saw a shrine with small statues of a wolf and an owl. he broke the figure of the wolf and he changed back into a man. But Irma had made another potion for him to drink, but (holding the owl in his hand) made Irma drink it, and she turned into an owl. She flew off and was never heard again. and Sir Marrok stayed a man and the (werewolf) never returned.

Sir William:
I have never heard of this one...very interesting story; thanks for sharing, Sir John.  I like the heraldry.

Sir Wolf:
neat

Sir John of Felsenbau:
Knight of the week: Sir Melchior von Hatzfeld. (I have a closer tie to this one,since my late father in laws family were the hereditary blacksmiths for the Checkonich family, so they may have known this knight. ) He was born in 1593 at castle Crottorf in the Rhineland.  He is a direct descendant of Volpert I von Hatzfeld. He became count of Hatzfeld in 1630. The coat of arms is described as a black "wall anchor." He studied in Paris, and later joined the "Altsachen" regiment during the 30 years war. He became marshal of the empire in 1631.  He commanded an army in the battle of Jankau and defeated the sedish army in 1646. In 1648 he was awarded the title "Prince of Hatzfeld." In 1657 he developed a severe illness and died in 1658. (a further note...in 1800 the estate of Hatzfeld was purchased by Count Joseph Csekonics and he divided the property into farms, one being "The Julia-Mjaor ranch." It was at this ranch that my father in laws relatives were the hereditary blacksmiths. A modern relative visited there and said the ranch still existed, but of course not under a coiuntship!)

Sir John of Felsenbau:
Knight of the week: Sir Hrvoje Vucic Hrvatinic - Born in 1350,  He was the most prominant member of the (Vucic) Vukac Hrvatinic Family. He was the eldest son od Duke Vukac Hrvatinic in Bosnia.  He was first mentioned as being a knight in 1376 during the reign of Hungarian King Louis I. In 1380 he was appointed "Duke of Bosnia." His first action was leading Bosnian troops to Croatia to raise a seige. After the death of Louis I, he participated in battles of succession between Sigismund of Luxemburg and Ladislaus of Naples. He sided with Ladislaus who made him "Ban of Croatia and Dalmatia." He participated in fights against the Turks in 1392. In 1403 he was appointed "Regent of Hungary, Croatia and Slavonia." He was appointed to the "Order of the Dragon" in 1408. In 1412, he partcipated in the tournament in Buda. In 1415 he defeated a rebellious Hugarian-Slavonian army. In 1416, he died...it was said: "with a delight in his heart for having taken revenge on his enemies and for being undefeated in his authority during his whole life!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version