"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 167298 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Knight of the week
« on: 2011-07-30, 14:31:14 »
As stated before, I plan, but don't guantee, to post a set for a different knight each week. I made the surcoats and shields and fixed up the helmets to match original crests.

This week is Ritter Goerg von Frankenstein...yea...you heard a lot about the monster, but there was a family of knights. First heard of in 500 AD- the word means "stone of the Franks." First use of the name Frankenstien was in Cologne in 948AD. Castle Frankenstein is situated on top of a hill in the village of NiederBeerbach. It was erected by Lord Conrad II in 1240. Ritter Georg Frankenstein, son of Philip von Frankenstein was supposed to have fought a dragon terrozing the area. He did kill it, but he died of wounds from the dragon. (Remember, a large lizard, like the Komodo dragon) could have been  similar to the one he fought. They both died in 1531. Other Frankensteins were knight's commanders.  In 1662, the family patriarch, Lord Johannes I von Frankenstein decided to sell the lordship. In 1673, Johann Conrad Dippel bought the castle and eventually adopted the Frankenstein name, even though he wasn't a "Frankenstein." He was an alchemist and dabbled in various unorotdox experiments...and it was HE and NOT a FRANKENSTEIN, that the book and moviews were based on. He was famous for inventing the dye: Prussian Blue.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-30, 14:34:27 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-30, 14:42:00 »
very cool thanks

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-01, 16:21:38 »
Very interesting, especially the tie-in with the books/movies. Thanks for posting this. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-01, 16:27:41 »
Well done!  You have a great deal of energy.  :)

Here's a link to a myArmoury topic by Thomas R. who belongs to a WMA group that trains and occasionally camps within Castle Frankenstein.  How much fun would it be to show up for a practice in your creation! 8)

How to carry your swords
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-02, 13:04:03 »
Amazing!  Well done Sir John!  Very nice article!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-02, 14:17:36 »
Nicely done, Sir John...if I may make a suggestion- show us the kit as modeled by you!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-06, 13:13:57 »
Do you mean the kit "on" me?...too hot right now for that.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-06, 13:21:20 »
This week's knight: Sir Balian the youger (1143-1193). It follows Balin as he takes over the Baronship of Ibelin in Jureselum. After the King of Jurseleum dies he is chosen to be the new one.  He has some conflicts with some of the crusading knights, but in the end he tried to defend Jeurseleum from capture, but fails. Once the kingdom falls to the turks, he makes a deal and many of the people are released and not killed. The movie follows history closely except for a few things. The seige lasted 4 weeks not 2 days...but then movies have to compress time. I thought the movie was good and portrayed Sir Balin as the sterotype "True knight."
« Last Edit: 2011-08-06, 13:24:35 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-08, 14:54:55 »
Pretty cool there, Sir John.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-13, 13:46:58 »
This weeks Knight: Sir Godfrey de Bouillion. (1060-1100):The second son of Eustache of Boulogne-sur-Mer. At an early age was adopted by his childless uncle, Godfrey, Duke of Lower Lorraine. At the age of 17, his uncle died and he succeeded tp the March of Antwerp, and all his uncles possessions, which included the Castle Bouillion, from which he took his name.The coat of arms of the family was a gold shield with a white potent cross. In 1880 he fought in the battle of Moelsen, and in 1884 with Henry IV in Italy. As a reward for his services, Henry IV gave him the Duchy of Lower Lorraine. In 1095 Pope Urban called for a Crusade and Godfrey was one of the first to voulunteer. There, he was knighted in 1097. He partcipated in many other battles and took an active part in the seige of the Holy City in 1099. Godfrey was offerred the title of "King of Jurusalem" but he turned it down named instead: The Warden of the Holy Seplecure. He died a year later in 1100.

(KIng Baldwin III of Jurusaleum used a plain white flag for the arms of the Kingdom...King Amalrich added the yellow cross to the flag, and it wasn't until the mide 13th century that the four smaller yellow crosses were added to the flag of the kingdom.)

In 1312, Jacques de Longuyon first wrote of the 9 Worthies (heroes personifying the knightly virtues.) Godfrey was included in this list.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-13, 13:52:11 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-15, 15:28:58 »
Godfrey's sword still hangs in a museum in Jerusalem...you could call him the 'Original Crusader'.  By the by, Sir John...I do not believe Godfrey would've worn a helm such as the one you have pictured...it would appear to be a few centuries later than his period.  Just a thought.

« Last Edit: 2011-08-15, 15:34:15 by Ser William »

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-15, 20:45:46 »
nice display. thanks for posting that sword pic!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-15, 20:50:59 »

Hmm, that is a nice way to display a sword. Maybe I need to invest in some custom shadow boxes or something. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-15, 20:59:55 »
There was a sword display box for sale very recently on the Armour Archive or myArmoury, I can't remember which.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #14 on: 2011-08-16, 04:18:29 »
A nice replica of that would be awesome
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux