"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 167293 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #30 on: 2011-09-10, 14:17:48 »
This week's Knight: Sir Marrok of Bedegraine. (Sometimes I like to research interesting legendary knights like this one.) He lived under the rule of Uther Pendragon.  The area: Bedegraine, is now called Sherwood Forrest. In that area lived many beasts and robbers and help to rid the area from them was sent to Uther. Uther sent the young, untried Sir Marrok. He did complete his task like a lion, so Uther gave him the crouched lion as his coat of arms...When Uther died, Marroks toubles began. When he left for Camelot, he was told to marry the lady Irma, which he did. But the lady did not like the match, and was a soceresss. She made (a figure of a wolf) and a potion and gave it to Marrok to drink. At once he turned into a wolf. Marrok ecaped into the woods where he lived until he came to meet Sir Tristan of Lyonesse who was sent to kill the wolf. But Sir Tristen did not kill Sir Marrok as a wolf, when he found the wolf harmless, he could not do it. He told the wolf about a secret door that Merlin made, to enter the castle. When Marrok entered he saw a shrine with small statues of a wolf and an owl. he broke the figure of the wolf and he changed back into a man. But Irma had made another potion for him to drink, but (holding the owl in his hand) made Irma drink it, and she turned into an owl. She flew off and was never heard again. and Sir Marrok stayed a man and the (werewolf) never returned.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-10, 14:21:13 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2011-09-12, 15:45:25 »
I have never heard of this one...very interesting story; thanks for sharing, Sir John.  I like the heraldry.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #32 on: 2011-09-12, 22:09:02 »
neat

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #33 on: 2011-09-17, 13:56:19 »
Knight of the week: Sir Melchior von Hatzfeld. (I have a closer tie to this one,since my late father in laws family were the hereditary blacksmiths for the Checkonich family, so they may have known this knight. ) He was born in 1593 at castle Crottorf in the Rhineland.  He is a direct descendant of Volpert I von Hatzfeld. He became count of Hatzfeld in 1630. The coat of arms is described as a black "wall anchor." He studied in Paris, and later joined the "Altsachen" regiment during the 30 years war. He became marshal of the empire in 1631.  He commanded an army in the battle of Jankau and defeated the sedish army in 1646. In 1648 he was awarded the title "Prince of Hatzfeld." In 1657 he developed a severe illness and died in 1658. (a further note...in 1800 the estate of Hatzfeld was purchased by Count Joseph Csekonics and he divided the property into farms, one being "The Julia-Mjaor ranch." It was at this ranch that my father in laws relatives were the hereditary blacksmiths. A modern relative visited there and said the ranch still existed, but of course not under a coiuntship!)
« Last Edit: 2011-09-17, 13:57:28 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #34 on: 2011-09-24, 13:53:15 »
Knight of the week: Sir Hrvoje Vucic Hrvatinic - Born in 1350,  He was the most prominant member of the (Vucic) Vukac Hrvatinic Family. He was the eldest son od Duke Vukac Hrvatinic in Bosnia.  He was first mentioned as being a knight in 1376 during the reign of Hungarian King Louis I. In 1380 he was appointed "Duke of Bosnia." His first action was leading Bosnian troops to Croatia to raise a seige. After the death of Louis I, he participated in battles of succession between Sigismund of Luxemburg and Ladislaus of Naples. He sided with Ladislaus who made him "Ban of Croatia and Dalmatia." He participated in fights against the Turks in 1392. In 1403 he was appointed "Regent of Hungary, Croatia and Slavonia." He was appointed to the "Order of the Dragon" in 1408. In 1412, he partcipated in the tournament in Buda. In 1415 he defeated a rebellious Hugarian-Slavonian army. In 1416, he died...it was said: "with a delight in his heart for having taken revenge on his enemies and for being undefeated in his authority during his whole life!"
« Last Edit: 2011-09-24, 13:55:16 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #35 on: 2011-10-01, 15:28:37 »
This weeks Knight: "Sir Eitel Frederick  II von Hohenzollern. - The coat of arms was first adopted in 1192; the dog crest was added 1n 1317. Eitel was born in 1452. His father was the 10th Count of Hohenzollern. Eitel was a close friend of King, later Emperor, Maximillian of Habsburg. Eitel fought for him in the Netherlands in 1482. He participated in the tournaments at Stuttgart in 1484 and at Bamberg in 1486. Upon his father's death in 1488, he became the 11th Count of Hohenzollern. In 1494 he again was in the Netherlands leading an expidition against the rebels in Gelderland, The same year he was appointed chamber judge in the Netherlands. In 1495, Maximillian appointed him the first president of the newly formed Imperial Supreme Court. He fought against the Swiss in the Swabian war of succession in 1499, and in 1500 in the Italian war. In 1501 he was awarded membership in the Order of the Golden Fleece. In 1503 he partcipated in his 3rd touenament (at Ausbach.) In 1504 he fought in the lower Bavarian war of succession at Castle Schonberg. He died in 1512, shortly after he had become Housemaster of the Privy Council, one of the highest offices of the Emperor's Court and answerable ONLY to the Emperor himself.

On a personal note- when I was in high school, a friend of mine (his parents ONLY spoke German) told me he was descendant of the Hohenzollerns. So I asked him to knight me, which he did! That's why I have that coat of arms as an estruncheon on my own coat of srms.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-01, 15:30:17 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2011-10-01, 18:41:44 »
I like his coat of arms. Very simple, very elegant, though I am biased towards the black and white color scheme myself.

I didn't know Gelderland is an actual place; it's mentioned in "A Knight's Tale". There's more history in that movie than I knew; I thought it was almost all just "fluff".

Sir John, who else have you been knighted by? Seems you've had quite a history of them.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #37 on: 2011-10-02, 13:51:09 »
Yes, that was one of the inaccuracies of "A Knight's Tale"...Gelderland is in the Netherlands and not in Lichtenstein.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #38 on: 2011-10-08, 14:34:28 »
This weeks Knight: "Lucius Artorius Castus" - While the Romans didn't call themselves "knights" they did have mounted Cavalry which would have been called knights. (While foot soldiers usually carried a rectangular shield, the cavalry usually carried an easier to handle, round shield.) Castus was born in 140 AD and enlisted in 158AD. He was first posted to the III Gallica Legion which gave him his initial training. He wanted to get to Primus Pilus, but that was 58 ranks higher. In 162 AD, he transferred to the VI Ferrata Legion in Judea. Changing legions usually meant changing ranks . With this legion he fought the Parthians. Several of the Centurians were lost in the war and Castus was promoted to this rank. In 166AD he transferred to the II Adiutrix Legion on the Danube. In 170AD his tour would have been up, but he rejoined and transferred to the V Macedonica Legion in Dacia, in modern Transylvania. In 172 war broke out at which time he was senior Centurion. He finally was promoted to Primus Pilus after the battles. Over the next few years he advanced from Praefectus Cohortis to Tribunus Militum to Tribunus Legionis and finally to Praefectus Alae. In 175, Castus was sent to Britian  with the VI Victrix Legion and soon became commander of the region there. His standard was a red dragon pennant. Between 181-185 the Roamns suffered heavy loses and the VIth legion fell to pieces and revolted. Castus put down this rebellion and restored Roman rule.  As a reward he was promoted to Procurator Centenaries (Governor) of Liburnia, a division of Dalmatia, where he ended his days.

Castus' military exploits in Britain was remembered for centuries afterward and historians believe he was the basis for King Arthur among the Welsh. They also propose that Castus as head of the Dragon Legion (Pendragon) was carried over into the King Arthur Legend.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-08, 14:37:50 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2011-10-08, 20:36:38 »
Very interesting Arthurian ties. That looks like leather armor - did you make that too?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #40 on: 2011-10-09, 13:53:01 »
I confess, I did buy the outfit, but altered it. The shielf of course I made as well as adding to the bare helmet.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #41 on: 2011-10-22, 14:18:19 »
Knight of the week : Sir Helyas of Lothringen - The legend of the "swan knight" is based on a real knight. Helyas was born about 1020 in Normandy, France. His father, and the father before him, we guardians of the holy grail. Helyas was the 40th and the last of the Grail Knights. He was married three times: 1st- the family of Bouillion where he recieved the fifedom of Bouillion. His son from this marriage was Godfrey of Bouillion. (I already did a set on him) When the child was young, they made a pigrimage to Jerusalem and the holy grail was placed in the Holy Seplicuhre. (the grail was eveantually taken out of Jerusalem  around 1244 and taken to Acre, after which it dissapeared. In 1910 it was found in the ruins of the church at Antioch, eventually wound up at the Cloister's Museum in New York, and now is privately owned by the Metroplolitan Museum of New York.)

Helyas started two other famous families by marriage...One was the Counts of Oldenburg and the other the Fiefdom of Kleve. Kleve castle was noted for its many swans and the coat of arms seems to have been based on this. It has been said that he was murdered by armed men sent by one of his ex-wives. The Legend was embellished quite a bit, but was based on this knight.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-22, 14:39:22 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2011-10-25, 16:32:51 »
Sir John, how is Helyas related to the legend of the Swan Knight?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #43 on: 2011-10-29, 14:28:13 »
Well, his coat of arms as well as his wives are both real and in the saga of the swan knight. The legend fantisizes though...about him coming to his first wife in a swan boat, which is supposed to be his brother. It's kind of involves, the legend, so it's best to check it out on the web. But, like I said, my research showed it was based on a re4al knight.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #44 on: 2011-10-29, 15:03:50 »
This week's knight: "Sir Botond" - He was a knight and a chieftan of one of the 7 tribes of Magyars.  In 910 he led one of the armies at the battle of Augsburg. From  937 to 955 he was involved in attacks against the Germans. In 950, King Otto of Germany vowed to wipe out the Maygars and devistated their land. But in 954, Botond, Bulcsu and Sur launched a campaign with an estimate of 35,000. The campaign had a shocking effect in Europe. In all the churches of Europe, people prayed: "Lord, deliver us from the arrows of the Maygars." Finally in 955 was the Battle of Lechfeld. The Maygars were outnumberd and the Germans said they would not negotiate unless the Magyars laid down their arms, which they did, but instead the Germans butchered them all. Botond's army was unable to save them, but he ran down those responsible and decapitated them all.

The Magyar succsessful retaliation after the battle of Lechfeld was 3 times more devistating then their defeat at Lechfeld. This was the end of the German attempts to conquer the Magyars by force. After this, the Magyars directed their campaigns south toward the Balkins and Byzantium. In 958 they arrived at the gates of Contananople. Botond challanged to fight their bravest knight to combat to settle the attack. A gigantic greek (named Scrubs) came out against the small Botond.They began a duel which lasted about an hour, when Botond ran him through with his sword. From that time on the Hungarian symbol of human power was "Botond." Soon after the magyars looted Greece. Shortly after the successful campaign, the healthy Botond mysteriously lost all his strengh and died. (There were rumors that he was poisioned.)
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"