"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Mace  (Read 6447 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Mace
« on: 2011-07-24, 18:14:53 »
How does one go about affixing this head to a shaft?

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=401000400&name=Steel+Mace+Head

Or where to get a good early period mace?
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Mace
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-24, 18:25:13 »

insert  piece of wood into the hole :P hahahha

i would use an ash or hard wood dowel (not so much pine that could break easier) use heavy glue or even sand it down so its slightly larger and pound it into place. but i think i would still glue it like crazy.  maybe even drill a hole and add a nail or 2

i like that mace.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-24, 21:32:57 »
With that particular head you have to glue and pin as Sir Wolf mentioned.  For good maces, check out Tod's Stuff.  Leo Todeschini does some awesome work.  Also look at the cutler and foundry links, lots of really good stuff there!!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-25, 02:33:20 »
Yeah, but glue? I can just see that flying off at an inopportune moment that way.....

And I don't see any holes for nailing to the shaft. Does one drill them? and if so, how?
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-25, 16:38:27 »
Yeah, but glue? I can just see that flying off at an inopportune moment that way.....

And I don't see any holes for nailing to the shaft. Does one drill them? and if so, how?
A drill press would be ideal, but a hand drill will work.

Shave your haft/handle so that there's a nice tight fit in the head socket and make sure it's fully seated.

Remove, goober the shaft and socket with epoxy, re-insert (seating fully), clean up excess epoxy (quickly) and leave it overnight.

Find a piece of mild steel rod that you will use for your pin.  Select a drill bit the same size (or 1/32 larger) as the pin diameter.  Drill a hole from the bottom flange, through the shaft and out the opposite side of the flange.  Try to keep everything nice and even while coming out 180 degrees from where you started.

Cut the rod just long enough that that you will be able to peen both ends once pushed through the hole.  Peen one end in a vice first, insert the rod, peen the other end and clean up both peens so that they are pretty.

Buff to remove burrs and other ugly stuff.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-25, 16:57:15 »
Thanks! Very helpful! And where would I get a drill press or hand drill? (you can tell I barely ever touch power tools  :P)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-25, 17:17:25 »
You don't want to buy a drill press or hand drill just for this one little project.  Borrow one from a friend or neighbor.

Almost every neighborhood has an old, retired gentleman who putters around in his (well stocked) garage all day.  He could have this done for you in minutes!   ;)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-25, 17:39:30 »
Haha, alright, I'll look into it. Would an engineer work?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-25, 18:39:24 »
LOL @ engineer

He might try to overbuild it, definitely over-analyze it and you could end up with a really sweet hand weapon...or unmitigated junk.  Not all putterers and tinkerers are good at what they do, they just do it all the time and make us think so.  LOL
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-25, 18:59:59 »
Thanks! Very helpful! And where would I get a drill press or hand drill? (you can tell I barely ever touch power tools  :P)

If you're not in a rush and are coming out to my place for the bottle-killin festival later this year, I have a drill press and some hammers you can use.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-25, 19:46:22 »
Hey sweet, when's that?
And yeah, my family is friends with an engineer. He's kinda nuts, but he does stuff well.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-25, 22:22:08 »
either the pin method, or Mac was saying a lot are just nails that are peened down on the ends to made look like a solid pin thru the shaft.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-25, 22:28:10 »
Yeah, I peen nails too.
But my biggest obstacle would be getting those bloody holes in the head. would a brass head be easier?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-26, 00:07:56 »

I would think brass would be a lot easier to drill out than steel, yes. But with the right bits, a drill-press should work with either.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-26, 17:01:43 »
Hey sweet, when's that?
And yeah, my family is friends with an engineer. He's kinda nuts, but he does stuff well.

No specific date yet, I'll post up an open invite thread when the weather begins cooling off a bit and see what the best weekend is to get multiple people able to come out.

I would think brass would be a lot easier to drill out than steel, yes. But with the right bits, a drill-press should work with either.

Yep, brass is softer, but either should cut fine. I've got some titanium high-speed bits from drilling my 16 gauge stainless many moons ago.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent