"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Wolf the Dunedain  (Read 14264 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Wolf the Dunedain
« Reply #15 on: 2011-06-24, 13:59:05 »
I like it. I'm going to truly embarrass myself and say I don't know what it's based off of, though.

Sir James...you've never read Lord of the Rings?  I thought you'd at least catch the Dunedain reference...but not if you never read the books.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2011-06-28, 18:29:24 »
i sorta made the Lord of the Ring kit as one of the Dunedain, one of the 30 Ranger men that helped Aragorn. It's not in the movie as the story line would have confused people with all of the extra stuff.
I like it. I'm going to truly embarrass myself and say I don't know what it's based off of, though.

Sir James...you've never read Lord of the Rings?  I thought you'd at least catch the Dunedain reference...but not if you never read the books.  ;)

Ah, yep, there's my disconnect. I saw the movies (and played the video game), but never read the books. I recognized Aragorn's name of course, and thought maybe he's got a spin-off book somewhere (like The Hobbit - which I haven't read either) and thought that's what this might be from.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #17 on: 2011-06-28, 19:26:24 »
hehehe its ok, i had forgotten about them till i was reading on a larp board somewheres and did some thinking hehe

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2011-06-28, 19:36:17 »
The Hobbit actually predates the Trilogy by about 17 years or so...when he began writing about the One Ring, it wasn't until later that he made the correlation between it and the magic ring Bilbo 'found' in Gollum's cave.

Anyhow, the Rangers are known as Dunedain, or Men of the West; Aragorn and his people are special in that they are the direct lineal descendants of the Numenoreans, or First Men as they are also known.  In a word, their bloodline is pure and unbroken from father to son over a span of thousands of years.  A singular form is 'Dunadan' or 'Man of the West'.

I also read most of the companion research novels that were written by Tolkien and/or his grandson, Christopher...a wealth of information is contained in 12 volumes known as the History of Middle Earth.  Given the Trilogy, the Hobbit, these volumes and others such as the Silmarillion (which reads much like the Bible in certain aspects) and you can almost understand how these words still carry so much weight nearly a hundred years after they were first imagined.

The movies were great, but they left a lot out and changed a few points...to no detriment of the film itself but there's so much more to the source material.  Not for everyone as it was mentioned in another thread about the pacing of the novels...they do go into detail and I know there are some out there who would have difficulty following along when some of the more expository chapters are in play.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Greg

« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-26, 17:17:32 »
As I said before, Wolf, it's a great kit.  You mentioned on our board that you think it could use some more greens and brows, but I, personally, for starter, would consider throwing some chain maille in there, since I know you already have it available.  Tolkien never wrote about plate armour aside from Helms and a mention of greaves, but Chain Maille was the most prevalent form of armour in Middle-Earth, so that'd be completely appropriate.