"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: More stuff has arrived! I'm TRULY broke now  (Read 15997 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: More stuff has arrived! I'm TRULY broke now
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-01, 17:51:40 »

I've never done the board/nails thing with my mail projects, but having started the pattern on multiple occasions the hard way, I can see the benefit. Each time I've started something, I've just grumbled to myself that in the time it would take to hammer in the nails, I could have the pattern started, so I usually have just charged forth.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-03, 02:01:44 »
I did all the butted without the board/nail, but I'm having vastly more trouble with the rivited. There's a specific way the ring has to pass through the others due to the overlap & rivit. I can't even do it while watching TV yet. :sadface:
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-04, 15:27:01 »
I am not familiar with this board and nail thing you're talking about...I'm guessing it has to do with maille but in what way?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-04, 16:57:18 »
I am not familiar with this board and nail thing you're talking about...I'm guessing it has to do with maille but in what way?

A single ring goes through each nail, and it's supposed to make it easy to see the "pattern" the mail makes so that all the rings get linked together properly. You can get 1 ring through 4, but if it's not done in the right pattern, the mail doesn't look right. It was helpful for the first few rows, when the rings are a bit wild and untethered, but once you get 4-5 rows done and it has more "shape" to it, I found it harder to work around than to do without it. At least I put it together in 5 minutes out of some random scrap I already had. :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-04, 18:29:01 »

For some reason this discussion is giving me a Simpsons flashback:

Kang: It seems the earthlings won.

Kodos: Did they? That board with a nail in it may have defeated us. But the humans won’t stop there. They’ll make bigger boards and bigger nails, and soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-04, 19:00:35 »
I think I'd need to see what you are talking about...I'm quite sure the image in my head is incorrect.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-04, 20:06:16 »
I think I'd need to see what you are talking about...I'm quite sure the image in my head is incorrect.

I have a pic on the first page, is it not showing up? It's from my photobucket, it should?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-04, 20:46:16 »
I had to go back and look...I totally missed that pic!  I get it now...how's it coming along?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2011-08-08, 18:41:16 »
I had to go back and look...I totally missed that pic!  I get it now...how's it coming along?

Yardwork and car repairs owned me last weekend, so it's been slow. I've made 3 or 4 more rows, but that's it. :o

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-09, 17:28:35 »
You work on cars?  What'd you have to do?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2011-08-12, 03:15:40 »
You work on cars?  What'd you have to do?

I took the easy way out on this one. I had a friend do my 120K service (timing belt, water pump, pulleys, misc belts, etc) but the valve cover gasket was leaking. I took it back to him for replacement, but he's 70 miles away. I try to stick to oil changes, brakes, and simple bolt-ons. I've got a car in the garage I managed to pull the motor, trans, and everything else from - but it's sat 5 years without me getting another motor in it, so I've got it up for sale to fund some other, more usable toys. :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2011-08-12, 14:24:33 »
What's that you got hiding in your garage there?  I smell a project car!  Ever since I was little, my Dad kept me in the garage with him while he pulled and rebuilt motors, carbs, heads, axles - we had a heavy duty engine hoist in the back of the garage.  I can't remember a time in my childhood when we had less than 4 or 5 cars, with only two drivers!  LOL

Dad was always a motorhead...up until my sister was born, 2 of those 4 or 5 cars would inevitably be a 68-72 Charger...he had about 7 different ones while I was growing up.  Then my sister was born and we had K-car sedans and old Saabs and a van.  I've forgotten a lot of what he taught me so I'm the minor guy, oil, filter, spark plugs and other simple bolt-ons.  Although with this Charger I bought, doing anything is labor intensive so I take it to my old garage now...I've known the guy going on 10 years now and I trust him and he doesn't try to beat me so we're all good.  If only I had a garage still...

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2011-08-13, 20:19:59 »
What's that you got hiding in your garage there?  I smell a project car!  Ever since I was little, my Dad kept me in the garage with him while he pulled and rebuilt motors, carbs, heads, axles - we had a heavy duty engine hoist in the back of the garage.  I can't remember a time in my childhood when we had less than 4 or 5 cars, with only two drivers!  LOL

Dad was always a motorhead...up until my sister was born, 2 of those 4 or 5 cars would inevitably be a 68-72 Charger...he had about 7 different ones while I was growing up.  Then my sister was born and we had K-car sedans and old Saabs and a van.  I've forgotten a lot of what he taught me so I'm the minor guy, oil, filter, spark plugs and other simple bolt-ons.  Although with this Charger I bought, doing anything is labor intensive so I take it to my old garage now...I've known the guy going on 10 years now and I trust him and he doesn't try to beat me so we're all good.  If only I had a garage still...

It's a '95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 spyder, I had it for about 5k miles before the engine spun a bearing, and prior to that it was hit by a 17 girl in an expedition while parked at my parent's house. It was a project car for quite some time, but quite unfinished, and my other 95 vr4 spyder decided to get fussy and stop going into reverse. I've tried all the things I know how to, and consensus of people who know what they're doing (not me :)) said it's a trans-pull and rebuild job. Considering the 5 years the other one has sat, and that I didn't finish it when I only owned 2 cars and was single ... it's time to let someone else fix it properly and for me to move on.

I'm self-taught / forums taught with everything. My parents never had a garage, and dad doesn't change his own oil or have any mechanical ability. I was 'late' to the party, it started when I graduated college and bought a Trans Am. It's a miracle I even pulled the motor, but I had help at the very end, to disconnect the transfer case and steering lines.

Good mechanics / technicians are worth their weight in gold. The guy that currently does all the tough things I am too scared to try I've known for 4 or 5 years, back when he used to work at another shop (he owns his shop now) and worked on one of my old cars. If you find one of those old chargers floating around, I'd be happy to give it a new home - I hope to eventually get a '69 charger or similar old-school muscle car that has no computer controlled anything - the maintenance is beyond simple compared to twin turbo, twin intercooled, all wheel drive, 4 wheel steering - bloody insanity, I tell you. :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2011-08-15, 15:23:13 »
You'll have to get in line Sir James...if I find an old Charger, I'm all over it.  Of course, it was just a few years ago when my Dad sold his 70 R/T...at the time I had no room for it.  I still don't...but I kick myself regularly for letting him sell it to someone else.  Then his 74 911 gave up the ghost...he's got a 93 Vette t/tops w/a Greenwood package...but I don't know if he's in love with it.  lol

You mentioned you had a TA...what year was it?  I always loved that car...ever since I saw Smokey and the Bandit!  LOL  This restaurant I used to work at, the Pine Grove Inn, there was this waitress, Britta, who had a 77 TA with a 402 big block that she'd rebuilt herself...hers was a mean one and she'd go up against anyone.  She had fire, that little German girl did.

I had a 75 Firebird I bought while I was still in high school...I'll never forget, bought it for $175 and hid it at a friend's apt so that my parents wouldn't know but they knew anyway!  By the time I thought to go back and get it, it had been towed....and they wanted a lot more money than I bought the car for so I let'm have it.  It needed a lot of work anyways...still...miss that car.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-15, 15:37:28 by Ser William »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2011-08-16, 21:41:56 »
You mentioned you had a TA...what year was it?

I had a '92 Firebird w/special edition (91/92 only) stuff - ground effects (body trim) and a V8 instead of the V6. After that, I had an '01 WS6 coupe and a '00 convertible (non-WS6). I traded the WS6 on the convertible because the t-tops were "difficult" to convince to not leak.

I had a 75 Firebird I bought while I was still in high school...I'll never forget, bought it for $175 and hid it at a friend's apt so that my parents wouldn't know but they knew anyway!

Ah, the joys of youth! I bought a motorcycle and hid it behind my parents shed for a week. :D

Back to mail, I've got the skirt expansion finished, which I hope is enough - I'll know tonight, I finished at 12:30am last night and didn't want to wake my wife with the noise (grunts) of half-armoring up to check.

As alluded to on Facebook by Sir Wolf, saturday was my birthday and an armor purchase was involved. I'm going to keep it quiet until MDRF opening weekend, though. :D
« Last Edit: 2011-08-16, 21:42:24 by James Anderson III »