"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Teutonic Knight Kit. 1370s Flavor!  (Read 30287 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Teutonic Knight Kit. 1370s Flavor!
« Reply #30 on: 2011-07-25, 22:19:59 »

HERETIC! tonight you will burn in hell!

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #31 on: 2011-07-26, 00:30:13 »
Talking to the Templar or me?
Press that charge against us and we WILL SINK YOUR ISLAND!!!!

Haha, sweet. Haven't seen anyone doing the traditional Hospitallier robes before! Kudos!
Really, a lot of folks don't realize that historically the a full Hospitallier knight would only have a 30 or so year window for the black surcote.
1248, Pope says they can wear something other than the constricting monkish garment (A surcote, finally!!!!!!)
1272, Pope decrees Knights all have to wear a red surcote with a white cross on it, shortly followed by a large riot in St Peters by a rather angry group of reenactors wearing conspicuous large black surcotes with a white Maltese cross upon it...... 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #32 on: 2011-07-26, 00:38:07 »
ya i know ;)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2011-07-26, 14:53:33 »
Nathan, I don't have a Hospitalier kit yet...was just thinking of doing one instead of the Teutonic Knight.  As you've just informed me that they were one and the same at one point, it would still be all to the good, right?

I'm not sure if I will though as they wore mostly mail and you know me, I like a bit more than that for myself.  I may have to be reborn as a Hochmiester...liked that particular regalia there.

And OF COURSE Sir Wolf has a Hospitalier kit...but he knows I was thinking of the other one, Sir Samuel, the Dark Knight was it?
« Last Edit: 2011-07-26, 14:54:51 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2011-07-26, 17:13:25 »
So does that mean I can just call BJ and have her do me a set just like yours?  That'd be EASY.  lol

Ditto on the arms and armor...Eastern European cavalry swords in particular I do like.

Sir James...out of my head, sir.  lol

Man, the Teutonic order has some very interesting history. You guys are going to make me want to do a Teutonic kit too. :)

Gentlemen ... do it. Go Teutonic!

Bu you never see the red version of the Hospitalliers, could you do a thread detailing that kit?

If I remember right, the red surcoat with a white "templar" cross. The templar cross, as most people call it, is a "maltese" cross, which got it's name from the Knights of Malta. It's actually a popular symbol still today. Next time you go by a fire station, see if you can spot one. The maltese cross is a common symbol with fire/rescue, and the most common color for a firetruck? Red, often with white letter/striping/etc.

(cue for the "the fire/rescue service is owned by the templars!" debate? :D)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #35 on: 2011-07-26, 17:48:49 »
Brethren, Gentlemen.........

Gentlemen ... do it. Go Teutonic!

I say this: "GO TEUTONIC! GO TEUTONIC!"
(My thanks to Sir Epic of Awesome Sauce, our own Sir James III)

1272, Pope decrees Knights all have to wear a red surcote with a white cross on it, shortly followed by a large riot in St Peters by a rather angry group of reenactors wearing conspicuous large black surcotes with a white Maltese cross upon it......

That is my reason for going for the "Red" Hospitaller Look.  But I am fine being one of the "Knights in Black" in terms of a Black Hospitaller Kit.

could you do a thread detailing that kit?

Yes, I will do so, just need to get my thread images ready.

HERETIC! tonight you will burn in hell!

Talking to the Templar or me?
Press that charge against us and we WILL SINK YOUR ISLAND!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!  "Thou shalt be slain you Pagan Knave!" (LOL! Completely Joking and Kidding with the inside joke.)

I find it quite interesting that all of these Kit Ideas have a common Helmet: The Great Helm!

I think that this is going to leave me with a Templar Kit, a Hospitaller Kit, a Teutonic Kit, and 13th Century Kit and the Surprise Kit which I will start a thread on that soon.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2011-07-26, 18:54:19 »
Sir Joshua...I see we are of like minds as I intend on doing the same (Templar, Hospitalier, Teutonic kits)...and I like the idea of red surcoat with white crosses...we should coordinate.  Will this mean I'd need a red shield with a white cross as well as a white shield w/black cross?  Not to mention, I need a shield with the beausant as well.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-26, 19:02:50 by Ser William »
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #37 on: 2011-07-26, 20:01:04 »
Sir James, If I remember correctly, the Templar cross was a blood red Cross Potent.
But don't say that too loudly, or else we'll have a documentary crew from the History Channel down here....Dusting everything within a 5 mile radius of the Volunteer Fire department looking for Templar Symbols and fingerprints....

And Sir William, if you're especially attracted to the Hochmeister's insignia, then you could portray a member of his personal standard bearer. In that role you would have the right to bear his insignia with minor variations.
PS, your new name translates in Spanish to "Is William"
And I'm fine with someone doing Hospitaller. After all, the original Idea of the Teutonic Knights was a branch of the Hospitallers to be set up along Templar lines (Dedicated to war)

And I have nothing against the Black Hospitaller look, It's just only good for about 30 years historically.

Cool, I'm getting everyone to go Teutonic! YEEEES!    ;D ;D ;D
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 2011-07-26, 20:23:39 »
In Spanish, 'ser' is a verb form meaning 'to be'.  Had I had 'Soy William' then that would mean 'I am William'.  The temporary verb form is 'estar', which also means 'to be', but not permanently, like 'ser'.  Such as, 'estoy aqui', or 'I am here'.  Heh.  Surprised I remember that...high school was a LONG time ago.  lol

But no...my meaning is an alternative form of 'sir' which I like for aeshetic reasons.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #39 on: 2011-07-26, 20:53:53 »
Well yes. Ser=to be
Since you didn't conjugate it, one would have to use it in the most general sense. To be=is (in usage anyway)  It makes the most sense.

BTW, I forgot to attach the pic of Hochmeister's banner.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #40 on: 2011-07-27, 03:07:56 »

I think the Templars mostly used variants of the Maltese Cross. Some looked slightly like the Cross Potent, with straight bars that only flare out at the ends.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

ECOX

• Forum Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #41 on: 2011-07-27, 03:11:42 »
Great pics.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #42 on: 2011-07-27, 04:54:36 »
Thank you ECOX  And from what I'm familiar, that's simply a cross potent with flared ends. Seems closer to that then a Maltese IMO

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #43 on: 2011-07-27, 13:41:47 »
Right, it's similar. Actually, I kept saying Maltese Cross, but it's really more of a Cross Pattée that they used a lot. I've never really seen a true Cross Potent associated with Templar imagery that I can recall. Of course that doesn't mean it didn't exist. :)

But if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't completely standardized within the Templars.

« Last Edit: 2011-07-27, 13:45:35 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 2011-07-27, 14:07:50 »
You are correct, Sir Edward, it wasn't standardized amongst the Templars...I've seen the cross portent, the pattee (which is on my garb) and the beatific (which is much like the portent, except the arms are straight and dual pointed, making eight points in total).