"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."
                -- Theodore H. White

Author Topic: Teutonic Knight Kit. 1370s Flavor!  (Read 30286 times)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Teutonic Knight Kit. 1370s Flavor!
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-23, 01:58:04 »
I dunno...both of mine are long enough...but who knows, we shall see.  What I do not have is a Teutonic ensemble like you and Sir Brian.  ;)
Yes Sir William, come to the Dark Side....

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-23, 03:38:49 »
Yeah, common, unlike the other orders, we've got over 4 centuries of Crusading kits to cover!
You knowwww you wanna  ;D

And Sir Brian also has one? Woah, would that make us the largest military order presence within the Order of the Marshal?
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-23, 10:06:55 »
Yes Sir Nathan, well done on the Teutonic Kit!  I feel inspired to do a Crusader Kit, maybe a Hospitaller (in conjunction to a surprise Kit I have in mind!)!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-23, 11:56:20 »

And Sir Brian also has one? Woah, would that make us the largest military order presence within the Order of the Marshal?
Whenever I get my but in gear and start working on my Knightly kit, I'm doing a Teutonic theme too. I never used to see anyone doing Teutonic Knights, it was always Templars and Hospitallers, so that made me want to do something different to stand out. Plus, my last name is Swiss-German so it's like a family thing.

So come on Sir William, all the cool Knights are going to have one....

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-23, 21:14:56 »
Saw it on facebook too. It's fantastic. That's a steal at only $140, too!

Sir William, you could always order "plain" clothing for now, and then just send it to her for a COA when you're ready. Since she's making it all, it shouldn't be a problem, and you could get the bulk of the work done already so turnaround would be very quick once you pick a COA. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2011-07-24, 02:33:35 »
Surprise Kit? I am intrigued......

And yeah, The Teutonic order is really underrepresented. It was one of the reasons I did that kit, but also the family thing, and I elaborated for over an hour on this at VARF, so I'll spare you all this time..... ;)

And I'm sure BJ would be happy to do that.
 I know, I couldn't believe the total was 140! I've seen surcotes cost more than that! Much less a mantle, with all the details.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2011-07-25, 13:41:50 »
Great ideas all...I don't have a Teutonic or Hospitalier kit...and I do so love the black!  I look good in black.  LOL

Plus, from what Nathan has told me (and shown us) - plate is not out of the question for them given the time frame.  It would also mean I could forego a breast plate...maybe go with a CoP or just the hauberk itself, with plate arms and legs?

I ask because I already have the arms and legs.  :)  Pics will be posted soon.  Oh, and got a new war hammer too!!!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2011-07-25, 16:31:05 »
Teutonic HAMMER TIME!!!!!!

Lol, yes, the Teutonic Order was originally the German branch of the Hospitaliers. After displaying some of that epic-flavored badassery that would characterize them for the next 4 centuries at the Siege of Acre (1190) they became their own order of German Knights (Although still technically a branch of the Hospitaliers). When the Prussian and Lithuanian pagans took up the game of "Rape Pillage and Murder Polish Christians" professionally, the Pope gave them full independence and transferred their primary theatre of operations to the Baltic in 1232 (Though their capital was still located in Acre, so they still served militarily in the holy land). By 1250 the Lithuanians were on the run, and the Prussians were utterly broken, so the German Emperor granted them the right to bear the Imperial Eagle (in escutcheon) upon the Sable Cross Potent which the Pope had already bestowed upon them. The French King granted them the Or Cross Flory, all of which the Hochmeister bears as his personal insignia.
After the loss of Outremer (and their HQ in Acre) their HQ was or for a while located in Venice, but was transferred to Marienburg.
Due to the Poles request that any lands taken by The Order belong to (and thus bear the responsibility of holding) The Order, they gathered a land empire that rivaled any European king, and their military might was unchallenged.
Their era of most power was during the 14th century. Then their combination of supreme military might, Huge "Tracts of Land" and access to several Baltic Sea ports (Due to the fact that they happened to own one of the Coasts!) Really started to wig out the poles. (the guys who asked them to be there in the first place) 
So they (the poles) thought it would be a good time for sneaky negotiations, and met with the Grand Duke of the Lithuanians and Allied with them against the Teutonic Order. While this was going on, the Teutonic Order was busy dealing with Novgorod and the Estonians. (Three front war!!!! Wooo!)
Even after Tannenburg (1410) the order maintained a powerful presence in the Baltic, and remained so until a Hochmeister converted to protestantism in 1525 and basically gave away all rights to their land after dispersing The Order's military forces to remote locations. They actually still exist and are in Communion with the Vatican (Still a legitimate order) today.

As far as kit goes, you can almost portray anything! With the gigantic time frame to work with especially.
You also can be afforded some abnormalities as Teutonic Knights had a tendency for lighter armouring (for all the raiding) and the complete melting pot of styles (German and Eastern European)   

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2011-07-25, 18:41:35 »
Great ideas all...I don't have a Teutonic or Hospitalier kit...and I do so love the black!  I look good in black.  LOL

Plus, from what Nathan has told me (and shown us) - plate is not out of the question for them given the time frame.  It would also mean I could forego a breast plate...maybe go with a CoP or just the hauberk itself, with plate arms and legs?

I ask because I already have the arms and legs.  :)  Pics will be posted soon.  Oh, and got a new war hammer too!!!

German knights do prefer more mail than plate; seems a viable option, and one that I'm entertaining doing, considering the price of the fabric and an idea I'm working on. We could have official "teutonic invasion days" at faire.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-07-25, 18:43:16 »
So does that mean I can just call BJ and have her do me a set just like yours?  That'd be EASY.  lol

Ditto on the arms and armor...Eastern European cavalry swords in particular I do like.

Sir James...out of my head, sir.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2011-07-25, 18:55:08 »
Man, the Teutonic order has some very interesting history. You guys are going to make me want to do a Teutonic kit too. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2011-07-25, 20:01:19 »
You could, but I'd sue copyright all over your Templar butt!  ;D

Here's a link to all the really awesome stuff you could slap onto a Teutonic Knight surcote and mantle.
http://www.imperialteutonicorder.com/id51.html

And don't forget the Livonian Branch!
http://www.imperialteutonicorder.com/id62.html

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #27 on: 2011-07-25, 20:06:31 »
Lol, yes, the Teutonic Order was originally the German branch of the Hospitaliers. After displaying some of that epic-flavored badassery that would characterize them for the next 4 centuries at the Siege of Acre (1190) they became their own order of German Knights (Although still technically a branch of the Hospitaliers). When the Prussian and Lithuanian pagans took up the game of "Rape Pillage and Murder Polish Christians" professionally, the Pope gave them full independence and transferred their primary theatre of operations to the Baltic in 1232 (Though their capital was still located in Acre, so they still served militarily in the holy land). By 1250 the Lithuanians were on the run, and the Prussians were utterly broken, so the German Emperor granted them the right to bear the Imperial Eagle (in escutcheon) upon the Sable Cross Potent which the Pope had already bestowed upon them. The French King granted them the Or Cross Flory, all of which the Hochmeister bears as his personal insignia.
After the loss of Outremer (and their HQ in Acre) their HQ was or for a while located in Venice, but was transferred to Marienburg.
Due to the Poles request that any lands taken by The Order belong to (and thus bear the responsibility of holding) The Order, they gathered a land empire that rivaled any European king, and their military might was unchallenged.
Their era of most power was during the 14th century. Then their combination of supreme military might, Huge "Tracts of Land" and access to several Baltic Sea ports (Due to the fact that they happened to own one of the Coasts!) Really started to wig out the poles. (the guys who asked them to be there in the first place)
So they (the poles) thought it would be a good time for sneaky negotiations, and met with the Grand Duke of the Lithuanians and Allied with them against the Teutonic Order. While this was going on, the Teutonic Order was busy dealing with Novgorod and the Estonians. (Three front war!!!! Wooo!)
Even after Tannenburg (1410) the order maintained a powerful presence in the Baltic, and remained so until a Hochmeister converted to protestantism in 1525 and basically gave away all rights to their land after dispersing The Order's military forces to remote locations. They actually still exist and are in Communion with the Vatican (Still a legitimate order) today.

Sir Nathan: Your History of the Teutonics is right on the Money!  ;D

We could have official "teutonic invasion days" at faire.

Oh Yes!  I say "BRING IT ON AND COUNT ME IN!"  ;D

You guys are going to make me want to do a Teutonic kit too.

Yes Sir Edward I feel the same sentiment.  This is going leave me with (and I assume everyone is listening, thank you) a Templar, Hospitaller (Red Version), Teutonic, 14th Century, 15th Century Italian and 16th Century KITS! LOL!  I am only kidding, but I am considering either a Teutonic or Hospitaller Kit (and do not forget that the Hospitallers also have an awesome History be themselves).

Here's a link to all the really awesome stuff you could slap onto a Teutonic Knight surcote and mantle.
http://www.imperialteutonicorder.com/id51.html

And don't forget the Livonian Branch!
http://www.imperialteutonicorder.com/id62.html

Awesome!

Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2011-07-25, 20:12:11 »
Yes, the Hospitaliers certainly do have their own storied history...and the only Hospitalier of our particular order, I have not seen on here since I joined.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2011-07-25, 21:58:58 »
Sir william, you have a Hospitallier kit?
Hey, if your doing Early Teutonic knight, you could do both at the same time!  ;D

Sir Josh, thank you. And that was my main thing with doing a Hospitallier, was the change in Surcotes.....Grahh, annoying!  :o
Bu you never see the red version of the Hospitalliers, could you do a thread detailing that kit?