Main > The Round Table

The Colée/Buffet

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir James (Fiat Lux):
For what it's worth, we in the Fiat Lux perform a Culee for our freshly stamped knights. (Those who witnessed Sir Jonathan's knighting a while back I'm sure remember/wince at the memory of Sir Barton's culee!) I find it rather important and memorable, as just about every member I've spoken with about it distinctly remembers theirs. (I chipped a tooth with mine. Barton's got quite the slap on 'im!)

One of the important things I think it symbolizes is the understanding of the mentor/mentored relationship. Though one is joining a peerage as an equal, there's still an unspoken chain of... not so much command as deference. One's sponsor is, in all things, their mentor. They're the one who brought them into knighthood, they're the one who taught them, raised them, educated them, and guided them. It's sort of the final test of trust and character - you know it's coming, and it's a sign of maturity, respect, and self-restraint to allow it to happen and embrace afterwards. I can't remember how many people shyed away from joining up because of the looming "threat" of the culee. When everything's said and done, though, it's just a capstone to a larger foundation of sacrifice, growth, and respect that was far longer, far more arduous, and endured for far greater gain.

Sir William:
I would not take a chipped tooth kindly, I assure you.  But some welts?  Not a problem for me...as I stated before, it'll not soon be forgotten, which is the point, as Sir James also stated.  I'm actually excited at the prospect of being knighted...it is part of the ceremony.

So you had some people shy away because of the colee/culee?  Which is correct?

Sir Edward...I can tell you with no dissembling that I would not take it ill if you delivered such a buffet to my face; I would like to think I speak for all of my brothers but in something so...personal, I defer to their individual views.

I only ask that you remove your mailed gauntlet; I should not like a chipped tooth, that would be too memorable- and would raise the ire of my lady wife.  I think I fear her anger more than any blade.  lol

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-05-19, 20:23:53 ---So you had some people shy away because of the colee/culee?  Which is correct?

--- End quote ---

I don't think there's any one correct spelling. It comes from an older version of French from the period. In googling it a bit, I had seen it spelled colé, colée, collé, and collée. I wouldn't be surprised if the "u" is just as common.

Technically if we do the "adoubement" (or "dubbing") with the sword, it's sufficient since that evolved out of the colee, around the 15th century or so. Before that, it was just the colee. The meaning of it has been altered by most modern groups though. It was more nebulous back in the day, more of a "this is the moment you become a knight" like the gavel in a courtroom, along with a statement or phrase like "be valiant!" Like a small right of passage. It would immediately be followed by the new knight mounting up and charging the quintain.

The SCA (and the Fiat Lux I believe) add a phrase along the lines of "let this be the last time you receive dishonor without a response" or something similar. And of course in KOH they say something like "and that is so that you will remember it!" -- Both are modern additions, as those connotations weren't present in period. Though the latter, from KOH, is closer since the period sources tend to refer to the colee as a strike that won't soon be forgotten, which I think can be taken both to refer to the strength of the blow as well as the purpose of it. But I think both work well, and of course they make it more understandable to modern folks who might be witnessing it.

Sir James A:
Hmm. I call light. :D

If and when my time comes, I'd like to avoid any blows to the face; I've had a few thousand dollars worth of dental work in the last couple years, including a refacing which I've lost twice - once in karate, and once in SCA combat - and I still have a root canal and two crowns left to go. I'd prefer to not potentially increase my dental bill if I can avoid it.

The chest is fine, as long as it's not directly on center and is more towards either shoulder. It's a medical thing, which I won't go into online. :(

Thorsteinn:
Ask Duke Uther Schiemann Der Hunt of the SCA, 8 time King of the West, how to do it.

"Bow your head.

Know, now that you are made a Knight,
that you must aid the defenseless,
seek justice for those of every station,
and maintain the honor of Knighthood.
Let this blow remind you that Knighthood
shall bring you pain as well as honor"

;)

-Ivan

(2 Things: Note the studied look on Duke Hauoc Bender's face; and the man being Knighted, Sir Kennric, asked for Uther to "really hit him")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version