Main > The Round Table

The Colée/Buffet

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Edward:

The AA thread that I posted also contained a video (WMV format, not youtube) showing what can happen if the slap hits just right to disrupt a lingual nerve. The dude looked drunk afterward, and needed help to remain upright after they picked him up off the ground.

I'm cool with strikes to the shoulder. :)

Sir Patrick:
If you leave on your gauntletes, I'm leaving on my helmet  ;)

Sir James (Fiat Lux):

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-05-19, 20:23:53 ---Sir Edward...I can tell you with no dissembling that I would not take it ill if you delivered such a buffet to my face;

--- End quote ---

I believe that line right there sums up the Fiatian perspective on the culee. To be able to take something like that - quite literally an undefended attack - with no ill bearing, malice, or anything short of respect is the final trial of Knighthood. After all, part of our Oath involves the line "To strike and to spare." The culee is the definition of the judgement required for such an oath.

As for the chipped tooth, that was partially my fault. I was in the process of setting my jaw, and the slap clacked my lower jaw's canine against the upper jaw's, resulting in an unintentional sharpening of that tooth. I've actually opted not to get it fixed as it isn't all that obvious, and (strange as it may sound,) it's made the tooth more effective at its' job. Kinda symbolic about how becoming a knight has made me a better man, in all things - even eating!

Also, for reference, it was with a simple leather glove, not an open-handed slap or anything like that.

Sir Brian:
Well either way works for me. Just let me know the prior to the ceremony which it will be so I can clench my teeth before the strike.  ;)

Sir William:
Same here...don't wanna get caught off-guard thinking it will be a buffet to the chest/shoulder and I get five laid across the face!  Talk about a look of shock lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version