"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Ok, now I need with what sword to go with My Harness! :'(  (Read 34636 times)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
OK, I am most grateful that you fellow brethren are generously helping me in designing my harness

the question is this, what sword should go with the harness?

Here are two swords from Forged in Time that I have my eyes on  ;D

http://www.forgedintime.com/

The English  Medieval Longsword

The Arbiter Longsword
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Ok, now I need with what sword to go with My Harness! :'(
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-11, 21:42:53 »
Between the two, I lean towards the Arbiter. It has "stronger" lines on the crossguard and pommel, which to me, fits more with the sharp lines of a gothic harness. The English Longsword looks more "italian" to me. I don't recall seeing anything about a specific style of sword being german or italian, so this is probably some sort of mental "this goes with that" my brain is doing....
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-11, 21:49:22 »
Can we see a pic of you in Kit again for reference?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-12, 00:19:52 »
i like the second one out of those two. where are you getting them from? have you checked kult of athena for pricing?

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-12, 01:22:33 »
Sir James:  I think that you're right that swords never were called 'german' or 'italian' because the two shown types were used by both nations along with England, France, Finland, Spain and others.  On a personal note, I lean towards the first one (the English Medieval Longsword).  I like the design and I feel that is the kind of sword I should get.  But my intention was to see what you brethren thought about this.

RauttSkegg:  I don't have a kit yet, but a picture compilation of the kit prototype van be found here

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,1096.15.html

check out the prototype for the German Gothic Placard/Brigandine design or the Italian Harness prototype

Sir Wolf:  The two swords shown here are not sold at Kult of Athena, but the pricing is not bad.  The Arbiter with a basic scabbard (plain leather scabbard) sells for $695.00, while the sword with a Deluxe Scabbard (scabbard with a wood core leather and leather chape) sells at $730.00 and the Sword with an Elite Scabbard (wood core and leather scabbard with a nickel chape) sells at $800.00.  The Sword by itself sells for $535.00.

The English Medieval Longsword (by itself) sells at $430.00, with a basic scabbard: $554.00, a Deluxe Scabbard: $625.00 and aqn Elite Scabbard: $695.00.

The Basic Scabbard sells with an extra cost of $124, a Deluxe Scabbard: $195 extra and the Elite: $265 extra.  The same extra cost also go for the Arbiter.

I like the Arbiter, but the English Medieval Longsword is just rockin' awesome goodness!  (one thing I would like to add is that the English Medieval Longsword is not based on a certain replica, but on a a style of longswords that were made in the 15th Century.  Hence both swords are 15th Century types.)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-12, 02:20:19 »
I have looked at Therion Arms and Albion, I think their swords are awesome but one tiny problem.

Some of the swords at Therion Arms are the reselling of current swords with displaced historical accuracy.

Albion on the other hand, not a bad selection of historically accurate swords.  But the styles are only con strained to the late 14th Century and early 15th Century.  I am looking for a sword that was made during the beginning, middle and end of the 15th Century.  I have looked the Earl, Regent and Talhoffer.

Also I am looking for a sword that closely resembles the Sword of Martin the Warrior (Redwall Novel Series) that look like this   

up close

I know that the Tinker Greats Sword of War is close, but I am no fan of War Swords.  My preference is longswords.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-12, 03:02:08 »
And what about Arms & Armor (http://www.armor.com/)?

I have handled the below and it makes me happy:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-duke-xiiia.htm
« Last Edit: 2011-05-12, 03:56:12 by RauttSkegg »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2011-05-12, 03:25:07 »
I'll always recommend Albion and A&A first and foremost to everyone. But I understand that they're not the most affordable, and if you have something very specific in mind that they don't offer, then that's a limitation as well.

I haven't handled these swords in question, so I don't know how they feel, and I don't know how durable they are, or how accurate the blade geometry is. But in the photos they look great, and really, if they're at all made well, the prices aren't that terrible. The option to get a sword for under $800 with a leather-wrapped wood-core scabbard is wonderful. Albions start at that price and go up, excluding a scabbard that would have to be custom made.

The first sword, with the wheel pommel, certainly looks very nice. My longest running love-affair with swords is the wheel/disc pommel models like that. The combination of that sort of pommel and a straight crossguard is probably the most universal hilt design across medieval Europe. But the Arbiter certainly looks like it would be quite dashing strapped on over gothic armor.

Again, it all boils down to what makes you happy, of course. :)
« Last Edit: 2011-05-12, 03:27:20 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2011-05-12, 11:25:57 »
RauttSkegg:  I have looked at A&A and they do have impressive replicas.

But Like I said, War Swords are not my type of swords.  Sorry

Sir Edward: You make a good point and that is the reason why I picked Forged in Time.  I like their prices and the fact the swords do come with scabbards.

Now to hope of relieving everyone. I will be purchasing both swords from Forged in Time.  Along with a third sword, The Vindicator

I thank you all for your advice on going with the Arbiter for the Gothic Harness.  I itned to use the English Medieval Longsword for my service as a Knight For Hire, the Arbiter for Ren Faires and the Vindicator for HEMA

Hence all three swords are on my list!

Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #10 on: 2011-05-12, 12:36:05 »
Quote from: Joshua Santana
Now to hope of relieving everyone. I will be purchasing both swords from Forged in Time.  Along with a third sword, The Vindicator.

Ah yes, the Sir Wolf method of shopping.  Very wise. ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-05-12, 12:46:55 »
I will be purchasing both swords from Forged in Time.  Along with a third sword, The Vindicator

Awesome. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #12 on: 2011-05-12, 13:11:51 »
muhahahah ehhehehe

also check into Del Tin swords. they cover a lot of time periods.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2011-05-12, 13:32:56 »
Quote from: Joshua Santana
Now to hope of relieving everyone. I will be purchasing both swords from Forged in Time.  Along with a third sword, The Vindicator.

Ah yes, the Sir Wolf method of shopping.  Very wise. ;)

Hahah, indeed. That's usually what I recommend to people with a very tough choice as well. "Get both"
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2011-05-12, 15:52:55 »
I can't view these so I don't know what you're looking at but I'm intrigued and will be checking this site out later on...tonight perhaps.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”