Main > The Library

Black Death, the 2010 Film

<< < (2/6) > >>

Sir William:
I just saw it again last weekend...I have to tell you, once you get past the inconsistencies and the expectation that its another 'Robin Hood and his Merry Men' tale, it was enjoyable.  Again, looking for historicity or realism is setting oneself up for disappointment...I liked it enough to see it again and I'll probably watch it again if its on tv.

Sir Edward:

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the new Robin Hood. It's a little slower paced than a lot of Hollywood movies, and it presents an alternate origin story, but I thought it was cool how they worked it into the circumstances of Richard the Lionheart's death instead of having him show up in a "surprise" ending. :)

Sir William:
Right!  Not sure I would've chosen Danny Huston for Richard...I've seen his work before, he's a good actor, but he lacks the charisma I would've looked for had I been casting for the part.  He was about the right age and he had the bedraggled look of a man on long campaign...but then, the choice for the Marshal was decidedly underwhelming for me as well.  William Hurt?  Really?

I would rather have seen Liam Neeson as the Marshal...not sure about Richard.  I thought Iain Glen would be good, even if he already played him a bit in KoH.

Sir Patrick:
Ok, just finished watching Black Death and I wasn't too thrilled with it (especially the ending).  The acting was good, but I wasn't exactly sure what the message was they were trying to convey (again, the ending really threw me off).  Seemed like a lot of pain and suffering on all sides for what amounted to nothing in the end.  Sean Bean was great (of course) and the fighting was down and dirty, but I still felt let down. :(

Sir William:
There were no happy endings except when the black plague actually ended.  The young man was further disillusioned by what he saw so he gave in to his baser instincts and became a crusader against witchcraft, even though deep down he was just lashing out because he lost his love in that manner...in his grief he kept on perpetuating the fraudalent claims that it was witchcraft.

The ending is definitely not feel good, but it did tie off loose ends as far as I was concerned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version