Main > The Library

Medieval Reference Information page

<< < (4/6) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: The Red Knight on 2011-03-11, 14:29:07 ---BTW, tried piercing some of the rings I made yesterday.  I'm officially done trying to fabricate rivetted maille.   >:(

--- End quote ---

That bad, eh? Yikes. Yeah I could see trying to do a little to replace a lost ring here or there, or close up a seam after cutting some material out to taper a sleeve or something. But I have no desire to make it from scratch either.

Sir Patrick:
Yeah, that bad.  Rings are just too darn small (3/8 inch ID) in real life.  Those closeups on all the how-to pages make it look easy.  I have all those coils wound, so I'm wondering if I could salvage some of my time and make some butted chauses.  I'm using 16g, pre-annealed rebar tie wire.  The maille boards say it's great for rivetted, but I wonder if it'll work for butted.  What'd you use on yours, Sir Edward?

Sir Edward:

My kit is 14g butted aluminum. Aluminum is pretty weak if you don't make it thick. I used 1/4 mile spools of electric fence wire, and went through two or three of them to make the kit I think.

Sir William:
Sounds like real hard work...where's an Erik Schmid when you need him?  lol

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
We have guys in our group that do maille but it takes a whole season to get it fitted right lol.

I have had confirmation of costs back from my monier, so Eddy I pennys will cost £4.00 for 10 coins.
I will send these out to you guys with no postage cost, as a good will gesture to comrades in arms.
Please feel free to surf the net and find cheaper, local vendors.
Let me know if you are still interested and I will order the blanks in and get to work.

G

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version