Main > The Library

Medieval Reference Information page

<< < (3/6) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Oh wow maille was expensive... From what I heard it was the most sought after looted item on the battlefield.

Sir William:
Sir Gerard, I'd like to get in on that if possible- and am willing to pay as well.  Sir Ulrich, it is such a labor-intensive garment that yes, very sought after because it was expensive.  One man, rolling out wire, clamping it shut then hammering the ends flat for riveting.  At least 20,000 rings in a good hauberk.  That took a long time to make...I couldn't imagine doing it myself.  lol

Sir Patrick:
Let me tell you a little something about rivetted maille.  I started making some today, and after about five hours and ten VERY sore fingers, I've got exactly 145 flattened, UNPUNCHED, UNWOVEN rings.  I did manage to get seven 36 inch coils rolled, but only cut one of them up so I could practice my flattening technique.  Needless to say getting only 145 useable rings out of the 450 I cut, my flattening skills need a little work (though they were markedly better by the end).  So far, the experience has left me convinced of two things:  1. The cost of rivetted maille is completely justified, and 2. making it should be used as a punishment for convicts!

Sir William:
Red...couldn't agree with you more on both counts.

Sir Patrick:
BTW, tried piercing some of the rings I made yesterday.  I'm officially done trying to fabricate rivetted maille.   >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version