Main > The Armoury

Practice Longsword on sale!

<< < (3/7) > >>

Das Bill:
The Hanwei Tinker swords are fine, and are a great bargain for the price. They're sturdy enough for general training, and they approximate the handling of a historical sword pretty well. They get chewed up a little faster than a higher end sword, but they're great as loaner swords or as something to start with if you aren't 100% certain you're going to stick with training over the years.

Keep in mind that these are not stage combat swords, nor are they reenactment swords. They are designed for martial arts practice. I suspect if you use them for the former, they will probably not last as long.

Sir Brian:
The only complaint I have about mine was the leather wrap was a bit on the shoddy side but some liberally applied superglue remedied that no problem and since everything is so easily disassembled I will probably end up rewrapping the handle anyways.  ;)

Sir Rodney:
How does the Hanwei Practical Hand and a Half Sword - 5th Generation - SH2106 compare to the Tinker Pearce Blunt Trainer Longsword - SH2395 as a training weapon?  With the current sale they're similar in price.  I know that I could use either in my current longsword class, but if I were to also participate in SCA fencing only the Practical Hand and a Half has been approved for use.

Sir William:
The Hanwei Practicals feature a thick blunt edge that makes it ideal for SCA and re-enactor usage; as Bill said, the H/Ts aren't built for stage or re-enactment but more for light sparring and forms work.  The added plus being that the sharp and blunt versions of the sword are built to be 'twins', that is, it should feel relatively the same when using either the sharp or blunt.

Sir Edward:

The Tinker is a real longsword in terms of size and balance.

The Hanwei hand-and-a-half is really not a longsword. It's more like a single-hand sword with a larger hilt (and I use it as my single-hand trainer).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version