Main > The Armoury

Practice Longsword on sale!

<< < (2/7) > >>

James Barker:
That blade is a screw down tang and not peened. Anyone have any experience with them? Do they rattle apart?

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: James Barker on 2011-02-10, 13:45:44 ---That blade is a screw down tang and not peened. Anyone have any experience with them? Do they rattle apart?
--- End quote ---

Sometimes after a hard practice session but a couple of turns with an allen wrench and it's good to go.
If it happens to often then I might add a dap of lock-tight next time.  ;)

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-02-09, 18:43:35 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-02-09, 17:56:36 ---Oh man!  Oh man...I just remembered, I have no money at the moment.  Sheesh!!!  lol

--- End quote ---

Someday when I'm elected emperor, I'll have to make a social program that assures every able bodied citizen receives a sword. :)

--- End quote ---

That would be grand!  lol

James, I have experience with the H/T swords...they're well built and like Sir Brian said, a turn or two with the allen wrench and all is well.  Lock-tite will only serve to make it so that he probably won't have to tighten it again, or not for a while at the least.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:

--- Quote from: James Barker on 2011-02-10, 13:45:44 ---That blade is a screw down tang and not peened. Anyone have any experience with them? Do they rattle apart?

--- End quote ---

Yes I would steer well clear of screwed or bolted tangs. The join between the blade and the stud/bolt, under the quillian, is a weak spot and has a habit of snapping apart  :o

Full tang with a hot peened pommel is absolutely the way to go.  ;)

G

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Gerard de Rodes on 2011-02-10, 17:25:52 ---Yes I would steer well clear of screwed or bolted tangs. The join between the blade and the stud/bolt, under the quillian, is a weak spot and has a habit of snapping apart  :o

Full tang with a hot peened pommel is absolutely the way to go.  ;)

G

--- End quote ---

I would agree with you, Sir Gerard, if we were talking about swords where the tang's welded on, or at the worst, a threaded rod welded on.  However, the Hanwei/Tinker line of swords are hand-forged with a full tang that is drawn down to a softer form of steel than the blade itself to better absorb the shock of contact...the threads are added after the forging process to the end of the tang to accept a sleeved nut.  As with all things threaded, there is the possibility of it coming loose- but I can't say its the norm.  I put mine under heavy usage, including blade on blade sparring with no ill effects and no rattling.  It has come slightly loose during these times but nothing a turn or two of an allen wrench won't fix.

These were made primarily to allow customization- you can switch out practice blunt blades for sharps when transitioning between forms/sparring to cutting exercises, not to mention guards, grips and pommels (so long as the pommel's been channeled for the sleeved nut).  Having the ability to purchase JUST the blade (as opposed to a whole sword) is a cost-effective way for some to continue to engage in the sport they love w/out breaking the bank.

Of course, I'll allow that the full tang hot peen is the safest and strongest way to go, but the H/T swords offer something those peened ones do not so in the end, personal preference will out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version