Main > The Courtyard

HEMA/WMA map

<< < (4/5) > >>

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Hmm there are 3 groups in my area. I wonder which one I should do though. Would prefer one where I fight with sword and shield.
--- End quote ---

Yep, ARMA groups in Northern and Southern NJ.  And an Schola Saint George Study Group in Hamilton.  Personally, I would invest my time and money in the SSG Group rather than in ARMA given from the information from our Sir James.   

--- Quote ---There's always the SCA, where "sword and board" is popular. Most of the HEMA programs don't do a lot of shield work since there's not a lot of surviving manuscript on it. However at Longpoint they had a sword and rotella class (rotella is a round metal shield) that was quite good. Personally, from a martial standpoint, I like the buckler more just because it's more mobile and doesn't get in your own way. And there is a lot of surviving material on its use. Then again, I haven't done a lot of shield work, and usually I like things more after working with them a while. Smiley

I'd ask around. If there is more than one HEMA group in your area, you can always email them and ask what weapon combinations they specialize in.
--- End quote ---

My thoughts exact Sir Edward!  My only hypothesis is that since the Buckler was your "shield", I often wondered could the techniques for sword and buckler could be applied to sword and heater shield?  My stance is that it could be a possibility, but we don't know.

--- Quote ---I would attend all 3 of them at least twice, and then decide based on the experiences.
--- End quote ---

That is the way to go, thanks Sir James!

Sir Brian:

--- Quote ---My thoughts exact Sir Edward!  My only hypothesis is that since the Buckler was your "shield", I often wondered could the techniques for sword and buckler could be applied to sword and heater shield?  My stance is that it could be a possibility, but we don't know.
--- End quote ---

I don’t think that supposition is applicable. Even though I’ve had only a single formal two hour session with the sword and buckler along with some sporadic practice times the one primary principle that has been successfully instilled into my mind is that the buckler doesn’t do the blocking. It’s there to protect your sword hand whereas I suppose a shield is utilized with a more dynamic defense strategy.

On another note: After our practice at MASHS last night we were discussing the feasibility of encouraging members of other groups to join us on our free-play Sundays and/or of going to some of their free-play sessions to facilitate a collaborative exchange of techniques and styles. Or to put it as Matt Walsh put it: “Stop some of the inbreeding of technique”, which really is an excellent point insofar as when you have a limited pool of opponents within your group then that group can become stagnant with their technique and tactics.

So putting theory to practice, I cordially invite everyone who reads this post to join us at MASHS on our free-play Sundays which is typically the fourth Sunday of every month at the Annapolis Maryland venue from 2:30 until 4:30 and the floor fee is $10.00 also please bring the appropriate protective equipment.  :)

Sir William:
I view the buckler as more of an offensive weapon as well, Sir Brian.  Sure, it could be used to block but it is much more effective when driven into the face of an opponent, rather than waiting for an opponent's weapon to make contact with it.

Sir Edward:

Yeah, I really need to make it back over for some more of the free-play sundays. That was a lot of fun, and you're right, the "inbreeding" can be a real issue. I really enjoyed coming over and being the "wild card" that day that I joined you guys.

The buckler really does work better when used with the correct techniques. It threw me off at first, getting the thought out of my head that it was just for parries. Realizing that the sword is much better at that, and the buckler serves better to protect your hands was a real eye-opener.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-06-30, 15:12:52 ---I view the buckler as more of an offensive weapon as well, Sir Brian.  Sure, it could be used to block but it is much more effective when driven into the face of an opponent, rather than waiting for an opponent's weapon to make contact with it.
--- End quote ---

You bring up an intriguing notion Sir William, i.e. would that action be the only recourse for an I:33 defender if a Longsword attacker moved in to grapple since the I:33 defender has no free hands to grapple with?  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version