Main > The Courtyard

HEMA/WMA map

<< < (3/5) > >>

Thorsteinn:
Good to see that the local HEMA group is on there, even though it is fairly small.

Sir Ulrich:
Hmm there are 3 groups in my area. I wonder which one I should do though. Would prefer one where I fight with sword and shield.

Thorsteinn:
@Sir Ulrich: Where is your area?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2011-02-22, 04:08:54 ---Hmm there are 3 groups in my area. I wonder which one I should do though. Would prefer one where I fight with sword and shield.

--- End quote ---

There's always the SCA, where "sword and board" is popular. Most of the HEMA programs don't do a lot of shield work since there's not a lot of surviving manuscript on it. However at Longpoint they had a sword and rotella class (rotella is a round metal shield) that was quite good. Personally, from a martial standpoint, I like the buckler more just because it's more mobile and doesn't get in your own way. And there is a lot of surviving material on its use. Then again, I haven't done a lot of shield work, and usually I like things more after working with them a while. :)

I'd ask around. If there is more than one HEMA group in your area, you can always email them and ask what weapon combinations they specialize in.

Sir James A:
I would attend all 3 of them at least twice, and then decide based on the experiences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version