Main > The Courtyard

HEMA/WMA map

<< < (5/5)

Sir William:
But of course- as they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.  One of the good things about a buckler is its handiness- even when you're wielding one, if a grapple were to occur you could easily transition to meet the challenge.  Or, put forth one of your own in the form of a stiff-armed thrust to the general area of the face.  You see, it takes years of training and practice to react or anticipate a move like that and not flinch.

Generally, a person who sees something hard and shiny moving quickly towards one's face can shake up even the best laid strategies in a duel.  And because it is so lightweight, multiple jabs to the face in tandem with swordplay makes you more dangerous than the longsword man.  In my humble opinion.

Sir Brian:
Well in time as I become more proficient with the S&B I will have to try some of those tactics during a free play session.  :)

Das Bill:
Actually, there's a lot of grappling in sword and buckler. And truthfully, people overstate the amount of grappling that happens with the longsword anyway.

If you do sword and buckler in the Liechtenauer tradition (which is what we do at VAF), the techniques are pretty much the same as they are with the longsword and single hand sword, just with a few variations due to buckler.

Sir William:
I really need to sign up for a class with you guys, Bill.  It is near the top of my to-do list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version