Main > The Library

The Fight Book (National Geographic)

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sir William:
Understood.

Das Bill:
Looks like it should be entertaining. Take it with a grain of salt, because from their promo alone I can already tell they're working off some outdated theories. For example, they seem to be going off the idea that Talhoffer's illustrations of the duel between a man and woman might possibly be a thing that Talhoffer made up (the woman in the video makes a point of prefacing her opinions with that). That was a theory some 15 years ago. There are dozens of other manuscripts that show this type of duel and have pretty specific descriptions of the laws and customs.

I look forward to catching this when it's out. Though I do wish people would stop making it sound like Talhoffer is so unique and unusual. :)

Sir James A:
I took one class with John Clements last year, and it opened my eyes to a number of WMA things I never knew. ARMA was one of the first "local" forums I came across, there was a post about him coming out to teach a class near my house. He was a good instructor. At first, I was interested in becoming an ARMA member, but after hearing the part about "and what you learn is not to be taught to anyone else", as essentially a "what happens in ARMA, stays in ARMA" feeling, I realized it's not the place for me.

The best thing about the class is that it brought to my attention there are lots of groups if I learned terms like HEMA, WMA, KDF, etc, that I never knew existed.

I set myself a reminder for the show, and hopefully I can record it and post a digital copy of it for those unable to watch it. My tech is, unfortunately, medieval as well, as I'll need to record it on a VCR (like from the museums) and then convert it to PC format. I'll post up a link if I can get it done and the quality isn't horrendous.

Sir William:
"and what you learn is not to be taught to anyone else" - what kind of happy crap is that?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-01-14, 16:12:28 ---"and what you learn is not to be taught to anyone else" - what kind of happy crap is that?

--- End quote ---

How very medieval of them... Yes, they generally also take a stance that they are the only one true reconstruction of the sword arts, and the rest of the community are years behind. It gets tiring seeing those arguments crop up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version