Main > The Library

The Fight Book (National Geographic)

<< < (3/7) > >>

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-01-14, 16:12:28 ---"and what you learn is not to be taught to anyone else" - what kind of happy crap is that?

--- End quote ---

Hehe sounds about on par with “The Great Pumpkin” cult of Charles M. Schulz.  ;)

Sir William:
Oh!  If you'd said "like the Church of Scientology" I would've understood implicitly.  I find such pronouncements to be ludicrous when referring to certain subjects.  I mean, unless of course there's a Wanderer about who lived during the times they proclaim themselves to be indentifying with, like the artes martial that they practice, for example.  There's no feasible way to corroborate what they claim to know, beside a few treatises and fechtbuchs that have survived the passage of time.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-01-14, 17:17:21 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-01-14, 16:12:28 ---"and what you learn is not to be taught to anyone else" - what kind of happy crap is that?

--- End quote ---

How very medieval of them... Yes, they generally also take a stance that they are the only one true reconstruction of the sword arts, and the rest of the community are years behind. It gets tiring seeing those arguments crop up.

--- End quote ---

Yep. And the name of his school, "The Iron Door", makes it even more obvious.

I'm just glad we have people like Das Bill and the others who are willing to teach without requiring a vow of silence.

Sir Wolf:
hear hear

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-01-15, 16:43:37 ---hear hear

--- End quote ---

Dude, you got that right. I see so many people type "here here"... and I just want to correct all of them, but bite my tongue. :)

Anyway, did anyone catch this last night? I did.

It was OK. It had some good stuff in it, but spent most of its time on siege engines and the like. It touched on the judicial duels, and put a lot of emphasis on the pommel strikes. They did some interesting experiments in creating a diving suit, talked about cannons a little, etc.

The narrator said "platemail" at one point, and I cringed. John Clements also said "chainmail", but these days it seems you have to say that for people to know what you're talking about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version