Main > The Courtyard

Time for a gorget!

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sir James A:
Was that during WMA or SCA practice? The one in your avatar looks like a good gorget, though I'm guessing there's a reason it isn't an option.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-01-12, 17:45:05 ---http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB0093&name=15th+Century+Leather+Gorget
or see if allan can make you something more to your detailed neck size

--- End quote ---

I guess I could but I hope to engage Allan with some custom reworking of my splinted cuisses.  ;)

--- Quote from: Sir Andrew on 2011-01-13, 11:13:12 ---You might want to consider something that protects up underneath the chin as well. It's pretty much a sure bet that shots have a way of deflecting up into the underside of your chin. Throat protection is something I don't mess around with.....

--- End quote ---
Good point (pardon the pun! :D). My fencing mask does cover the underside of my chin pretty well though.

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-01-13, 15:45:47 ---Was that during WMA or SCA practice? The one in your avatar looks like a good gorget, though I'm guessing there's a reason it isn't an option.
--- End quote ---

I need it for WMA practice. My armor gorget is a fine gorget but is actually a little too big and bulky for that kind of usage. It does a great job of supporting part of the weight of my great helm though!  ;)

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Andrew on 2011-01-13, 11:13:12 ---You might want to consider something that protects up underneath the chin as well. It's pretty much a sure bet that shots have a way of deflecting up into the underside of your chin. Throat protection is something I don't mess around with.....

--- End quote ---

The tricky issue here is that this can impede movement quite a bit. Most things that give that much coverage tend to also prevent standing in guards such as Ochs or high vom Tag.

David Teague made me an *awesome* mail standard that has a trauma plate underneath. I love it. Basically, he took a rivetted mail standard from IceFalcon, put it on thick padding, and sewed a hardened plate in between the mail and the padding where the throat is. The result is something that protects the throat incredibly well, fans out to protects the collar bones pretty well, and is flexible enough that I can lift my arms straight up without even really noticing that it is on. The downside is that he made this as a favor (though I paid for the mail), and he doesn't make this commercially. Still, if you ever want to consider a do-it-yourself project, this one would be a great one.

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Das Bill ---David Teague made me an *awesome* mail standard that has a trauma plate underneath. I love it. Basically, he took a rivetted mail standard from IceFalcon, put it on thick padding, and sewed a hardened plate in between the mail and the padding where the throat is.
--- End quote ---

David illustrated this gorget very well here.  Using Bill's gift gorget as a guide, I made a prototype (with butted / blackened mail) that stands up to SCA combat very well.  Between this gorget and an aventail hanging off my bascinet I have no coverage issues, movement restriction or fear of my Adam’s apple being pushed back into my spine.

Sir Brian:
Wow! Those look great and seem very doable! Thanks for posting the links with all the great reference pictures! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version