Main > The Armoury

Armorer - Pitbull Armory

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir Wolf:
he's like made a vow to try to make armour more historical looking/working so that will improve the overall look and shaping

Sir William:
He's come a long way...I remember his first offerings and one thing I'll say is that I never saw a piece from him that looked cheap or poorly made.  Might have to get a few pieces to try them out.

Sir James A:
He's come a long way since the barrel plastic armor, and if you look through his site you can almost pick out the pictures from a year or two ago. I haven't handled any of his work in person, but he is a very helpful person on the armor archive and seems to almost always have some feedback or advice for up-and-coming armorers, too.

A few things look a bit "off" to me, such as the haut guards/great pauldrons, and the breastplate/fauld intersection, but to my roughly-armor-competent eye, it would make excellent combat armor, acceptable "general appearance of a knight" armor, and needs a bit more work to be truly authentic in style. Those items may be some of his older work, though.

His articulation is excellent, though. That's something you don't see in many pictures, and he actually posted a thread that showed how long his leg armor could hold water in it, with the knees fully flexed. Lots of the "sport" armor I've seen will articulate fine for movement, but leaves large, unsightly gaps when flexed. Pitbull dishes his lames as well as cops, and that gives some great articulation, both in authenticity for higher-end armor, and a better look to the way it functions and moves in general.

Sir William:
So if I were looking to put together an authentic suit, I shouldn't use him...but if I'm not, he's all to the good.  Good stuff, there.  It was the articulating pieces that caught my eye...and I didn't know about how solid they were, just that they looked better than others I've seen.

Sir Edward:

Well, some of his stuff looks a lot better than a lot of the SCA armorers. Authenticity is a relative thing. Very few armorers really get things completely right, and justifiably so, otherwise the costs would be enormous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version