Main > The Armoury

How to clean rust from armor

<< < (2/6) > >>

Sir Brian:
I use this for the light to moderate rust along with a green scrub pad.
http://www.acehardware.com/largeImage/index.jsp?LargeImageURL=http%3A//ACE.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-1200051dt.jpg

I use a drill motor and wire wheel for the serious rust.   ;)

Sir William:
What Sir Brian said; I use a green scotchbrite pad and Flitz (Windlass sells it) - I have a GDFB helm that has shown some rust spots since I got it.  I use it for my swords as well, works just fine.

Sir Matthew:
Wow, I must be the odd man out here. I actually let most of my stuff get really rusty and nasty before cleaning it. I have not cleaned my Morion in about a month and it has got rained on twice, though not very hard and it is only showing a small amount of discoloration and some spotty surface rust. My method is what one of the living history units uses on their armor and weapons to give them a period feel and to reduve maintenance. Let it rust for a while, until the rust has that nice dark patina then clean it with gun oil (do not use wd 30, it no longer has actual oil in it, only a synthentic and does not kill rust) or similiar oil. Use a wire brush or steel wool with the oil to clean the worst with, then use a rag to reaply some oil and store or wear with the oil on. This will create a layer of "dead" rust in between the air and the steel underneath that will help to protect your helmet, sword, armor, etc. I did this with my Kettle Helm and although I have not yet gotten that nice dark patina, it is not shiney raw steel anymore either. Alternatively, you can clean all the rust off and cover it in peanut oil (a thin layer) and then bake it on. Baking can be done by cooking it in a stove or closed grill, although this heat may change the metal's properties, I'm not sure, or by placing it out on a driveway or sidewalk on a couple of very hot summer days when no rain is expected. This will create a layer between the steel and the air much like paint. The peanut oil has a dark brownish color when used this way. I have not personally done this, but I know someone in the Kingdom of Lucerne who did this with his gorget and burgonet and it looks really good. I hope this is helpful to you or someone else here.

Sir William:
Well, due to inherent laziness, I'm following Matt's example- that is, not cleaning my armor.  No, there're some minor rust spots that I've let live for now...figure once the season's over, then I'll clean it up.  I won't be baking anything as that would require removal of the leather bits (which equates to extra work lol) but I'll keep the other stuff in mind; thanks for sharing.

Sir Edward:

Yeah, I'm one of the worst when it comes to rust. I hardly ever clean or seal my armor, which is why I'm trying to get stainless whenever I can, and that's also a side benefit of having aluminum mail. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version