Main > The Armoury

How to clean rust from armor

(1/6) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
So I went to NY Renaissance Faire and it was raining. Considering my kettle helm sat in my closet the majority of the time I assumed it was stainless as it did not rust. Boy was I wrong. It's got light rust stains on it thanks to the rain. Anyone know how to clean it off? Keep in mind I can't soak it in anything as the liner is riveted to the helmet itself. Should I just paint it like they historically did to armor to get rid of rust?

Sir Wolf:
hmm yours is a cas iberia/ get dressed for battle right? i am not sure if there is a covering over the metal or not. allot of times i rub down my armour with 3in1 oil with a ruff cloth. if that doesn't work i use a scotch brite (green) pad and then oil it. if that doesn't work try some 800 grit sand paper and work your way down the scale till it comes off. (lower the number = rougher the paper) i had a helmet that had some rust so i used a scotch brite pad just to find out that the metal had like a covering. not like a painted on lacker but something else odd.

hmmm looking at my get dressed for battle sallet i don't think it does, so go for the ruff cloth and then the green scotch brite pad.

Sir Ulrich:
I got it at strongblade here http://www.strongblade.com/prod/sbh-kettlehelm.html
I am thinking once I clean it I should lacquer or paint it. This is actually giving me second thoughts on my purchase on that mail. Maybe being 410 bucks poorer is worth the lack of maintenance and rust.

Sir Wolf:
i think it maybe jsut straight steel.

DO LOT Lacquer IT! ask Sir Edward about that hehehe it showed every scratch.

but don't get stainless cause you fear rust. with all beauty comes maintenance.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah it has some scratches on it.... Dunno if that's lacquer or just the mirror polish finish getting scuffed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version