Main > The Armoury

Pronunciation

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Heh, yeah. I pronounced everything wrong and it was embarrassing when I went to an armoury. At least now I won't do it =P

Sir William:
Lessons learned, knights...for me at least.  ;)

Sir Edward:

Cool talking dictionary! :)

Gorget: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=gorget&submit=Submit

Coif: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=coif&submit=Submit

Not many armor terms though.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2010-09-02, 11:30:23 ---Thanks Ed!

*sigh*
Now I have to re-train myself to properly pronounce gorget with a hard "T" instead of a french "eh" sound!  :P

edited for spelling. I knew how to spell the word but my fingers didn't! :P

--- End quote ---

I do the same thing. Armet, tasset - all hard T for me. Gorget used to be hard. For a long time now, it's been soft. Seems like I saw that in a book somewhere and "retrained" myself. Time for another retraining.

How about "haubergeon"? I have heard it as "how-ber-geon" and "haw-ber-geon" and don't know which is correct.

How about "halberd"? I have heard it as "hal-berd" and "hal-bear". Reasonably sure it should be "berd"?

Sir Edward:

Yes, I believe it should be a hard "d" on the end of halberd. But I've heard the first syllable as both "hal" (like "pal") and the word "hall". I think for hauberk and haubergeon, either pronunciation for the first syllable is fine. Or at least, I've never seen anyone be picky about it. :)

The funny thing with those hard "T" sounds is that so many people believe they should be pronounced like a soft French-like "T" that they'll try to correct you. But they're clearly meant to be hard. For instance, there's a period writing somewhere in which a play on words is intended, comparing a Sallet to a Salad. The similarity isn't there if you pronounce the helmet as "Sallay". I don't remember whose writing it is in, perhaps Das Bill will remember, since he's the one who told me about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version