Main > The Armoury

Ed's Mid 14th C. kit

<< < (3/46) > >>

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2010-07-19, 21:17:36 ---With a decent over-tunic, I can probably save getting a new breastplate or brigandine for later.
--- End quote ---

FYI, I would go for a coat of plates rather than a brigandine. While there are some brigs that start appearing in the end of the 14th century, most of the ones on the market are distinctively 15th (unless if they are coat of plates that are being misnamed as brigs).

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2010-07-20, 14:53:08 --- so I may get one of the anachronistic fencing helms as well later.
--- End quote ---

And to be fair, they aren't *that* anachronistic when compared to most helmets that are sold on the market. Most have things that are just as incorrect.

Since you have the MRL one, I think you'll be fine for the moment.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Allan Senefelder on 2010-07-19, 23:32:54 ---Ed, I can make you the arms with the rondels if you'd like. I've meant to for ages and just never get around to it ( i've actually made 6 pairs for folks and never remember to take pics ).

--- End quote ---

Man, that would be awesome. I'll be in contact soon probably. :)

This is going to sting, having ordered those riveted chausses, and now some more plate. But it's OK. When I switched jobs, I got paid for more than 6 weeks of unused leave. :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2010-07-20, 03:17:26 ---If you don't like the houdskull visor, I recommend going with some sort of klapvisor or round nose one. Here's one that I've always loved from Anshelm:

http://www.anshelmarms.com/bascinets.html

--- End quote ---

Man, I just had to look at that one. Ugh, by the time you add in the liner, strapping, drilling, etc, and get it in stainless, it'll add up to $800 just for the helm. $900 if you get engraved brass trim too (geometric pattern). But I really like that one... arg....

Das Bill:
Yeah, I hear you. I recall finding that page about 7 years ago, before I had any armor. I was seriously considering going 14th century back then, and that was my dream helmet. I just couldn't afford it.

Nowadays I'm so much more of a snob, though. :) Still, you could get one that is a little less fancy to keep the cost down, and possibly do some of the work (like the liner) yourself.

Of course, for myself, my tastes have grown beyond my abilities, so I would rather pay someone to do it right instead of me attempting it, then never being quite happy with it. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version