Main > The Armoury

new member, new harness

<< < (4/8) > >>

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: westcoastgio on 2015-09-18, 05:47:38 ---any smiths you suggest?

--- End quote ---

Yes, but he's recently retired from armouring.  Allan Senefelder (aka The Mercenary's Tailor) made great (SCA type) gear.  Search the Armour Archive, myArmoury, this forum and other armour forums to find his stuff for sale used.  I have a couple of his pieces that I will never sell which tells you what I think of the man and the quality of his craft.

I'm not too familiar with many US based armourers except the really high end guys who do amazing work for (rightfully so) amazing prices.

There seems to be quite a bit of good stuff coming out of the Ukraine lately although I have no first hand experience.

Sampf:
I did the same as you at the start no need to worry
 My breastplate is from Allan although unfortunately he is out of business, I still have not been able to find someone to match his ruggedness and amazing prices  :(

Sir Rodney:
I must be getting old as I completely forgot two solid US armourers for the SCA crowd.   :o

Windrose Armory out of Arizona

Icefalcon Armory out of New Jersey

I've have very positive dealings with both.  They are well established and offer good quality for the price.

westcoastgio:
so, I gotta ask, what does Ice Falcon do at 400$ on a set of arms that the other internet armorers I have found don't do at 200$?

I have zero problem with saving up and spending extra, as long as I know what I'm getting for the money.

Ian:
Without seeing a direct comparison, the things that have pretty significant effects on pricing are factors like materials (spring steel vs mild steel vs stainless steel), level of finish (mirror polish vs satin polish vs rough from the hammer), proper historical line and shaping, techniques used (hot work required or just cold hammered), construction method (raised, welded, riveted), reputation of the armorer, decoration (brass edging, engraving, etching, bluing, blackening, gilding etc), heat treatment and hardening...

For example, you can get helmet-looking object that will protect your brain with a serviceable finish in 14g mild steel, cold-worked and riveted construction for $150.

You can also get a historically shaped helmet, in a good finish, heat treated and hot raised from a single piece of 1050 spring steel, with brass edging and engraving from a well known custom armorer for $4,000

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version