Main > The Armoury

new member, new harness

<< < (5/8) > >>

westcoastgio:
I am well aware of the things that can bring up price, and when it comes to my helmet, I will be going deep into my wallet.

however several internet armorers offer articulated 14c style arms from just under the pauldron to the wrist for around 200 dollars. Icefalcon starts way higher in price for similar arms, and from the pics look like they are only from the elbow down. I hear alot of recommendations about IceFalcon, but was wondering what I would get for the extra money.

Mike W.:
From what I understand of armor. Spend the most amount of armor on greaves and helmets. Greaves moreso since they require a very exact fit.

Ian:
Unless I can see specifically what you're looking at for $200 I can't tell you why it's at that price point.  I can only tell you from experience, arms that cost $200 (regardless of whether they are articulated or not) are typically not very refined in historical shaping, and will almost certainly be made of mild steel.  Icefalcon's catalog doesn't provide enough information, but looking at his photos he seems to really like working in stainless steel or aluminum.  He also has a very high reputation within certain sport combat circles.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2015-09-27, 02:19:49 ---Unless I can see specifically what you're looking at for $200 I can't tell you why it's at that price point.  I can only tell you from experience, arms that cost $200 (regardless of whether they are articulated or not) are typically not very refined in historical shaping, and will almost certainly be made of mild steel.  Icefalcon's catalog doesn't provide enough information, but looking at his photos he seems to really like working in stainless steel or aluminum.  He also has a very high reputation within certain sport combat circles.

--- End quote ---

Agreed on everything Sir Ian has said. I'll also add:

* Thickness affects price (18g is actually thinner than 16g and some Indian armors are 18g), and also that the actual functionality of the articulation CAN affect price.
* Cheaper armor won't have a full range of motion, or in some cases, some of the plates are riveted solid and don't move at all when they should.
* STYLE of the armor will also affect the price, floating arms are generally cheaper than articulated, and gothic/fluted is generally more expensive than italian/english

As Ian said, without specific links, no way to know what we're comparing

westcoastgio:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2015-09-27, 15:04:55 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2015-09-27, 02:19:49 ---Unless I can see specifically what you're looking at for $200 I can't tell you why it's at that price point.  I can only tell you from experience, arms that cost $200 (regardless of whether they are articulated or not) are typically not very refined in historical shaping, and will almost certainly be made of mild steel.  Icefalcon's catalog doesn't provide enough information, but looking at his photos he seems to really like working in stainless steel or aluminum.  He also has a very high reputation within certain sport combat circles.

--- End quote ---

Agreed on everything Sir Ian has said. I'll also add:

* Thickness affects price (18g is actually thinner than 16g and some Indian armors are 18g), and also that the actual functionality of the articulation CAN affect price.
* Cheaper armor won't have a full range of motion, or in some cases, some of the plates are riveted solid and don't move at all when they should.
* STYLE of the armor will also affect the price, floating arms are generally cheaper than articulated, and gothic/fluted is generally more expensive than italian/english

As Ian said, without specific links, no way to know what we're comparing

--- End quote ---

fair enough. When I brought up http://www.illusionarmoring.com Sir Rodney broke down a pros and cons list. I was hoping someone could do similar for Icefalcon, or supply a bit of info behind their reputation.

Although I think I figured out the price disparity.... Icefalcon is using stainless steel, all of the other smiths I have been looking at are using regular steel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version