"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Decorative sword belts and medieval designs and what they mean?  (Read 5635 times)

SerTimtheJailer

• New Forum Member
  • In My Sword I Trust
Hi there I'm new to the forum and could already use your guys advice. I'm ordering a custom DBK scabbard for a Albion Knight and I wanna know if you guys could point me in the right direction as to what kind of I guess medieval designs would a knight use? Also if anybody has any pics of some nice decorative belts that a knight would use, it would also help me in designing this scabbard. I'm also thinking of having all the knightly virtues inscribed on the side of the scabbard, good idea what do you guys think?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Effigies and Brasses, and Armour In Art, are your two best friends for this :)

http://effigiesandbrasses.com
http://armourinart.com/
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
+1
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

SerTimtheJailer

• New Forum Member
  • In My Sword I Trust
Thank you, that was actually very helpful!

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
Medieval knights were fond of Latin phrases on their shields and other gear, even a fair number of existing sword blades had Latin mottos or abbreviations made into them. Sword scabbards and belts are fair game for these and other designs as well.

This one is one of mine. I've got several dbk scabbards, and I love them all:

The dbk gallery is a great resource.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
I have only one but DBK does awesome work in detail.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

SerTimtheJailer

• New Forum Member
  • In My Sword I Trust
That DBK scabbard is awesome, I was almost about to have him make me one but the wait is a year and a half! Too long for me but his work is pretty amazing.

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
If you can stand the wait and the price, these scabbards look even better up close than the pictures look. Hard to imagine before you see one in person, but Brian at dbk is a true master of his art, an absolute professional who turns out unbeatable craftsmanship.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
If you can stand the wait and the price, these scabbards look even better up close than the pictures look. Hard to imagine before you see one in person, but Brian at dbk is a true master of his art, an absolute professional who turns out unbeatable craftsmanship.

Heck yes. For most of the orders I've placed with him, I've given him some rough requirements (color, and a few details), and then turn him loose to his thing. He always amazes me with what he comes up with, and does beautiful work.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran

Heck yes. For most of the orders I've placed with him, I've given him some rough requirements (color, and a few details), and then turn him loose to his thing. He always amazes me with what he comes up with, and does beautiful work.

I second these statements.  My first time, I told Brian exactly what I wanted.  The second time, he told me what he had in mind- I should've let him run free the first time.  His designs were much better than anything I came up with, and the execution was flawless.  He did some stamp/engraving work and aging the steel bits so that they had that, well, aged look about them.  I have some small regret in selling that sword and scabbard setup.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€