"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: Using Milk Paint to paint armor.  (Read 5688 times)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Using Milk Paint to paint armor.
« on: 2014-08-20, 01:24:22 »
So I bought a breast plate from a freind of mine and I intend to wear it over my riveted, blackened maille for my early to mid 16th Century impression. I portray an English soldier and so I thought painting this breast plate white with the red St. George's Cross would look nice against the blackened maille. I've only every used modern oil paints on my armor, but for this project I wanted a different look and was thinking of trying milk paint. I know it is a period paint and I believe I read it was used on armor. I also know some of the members here have used it on shields, but has anyone painted armor with it? If so, how did it turn out? what pointers or tips can you provide?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Using Milk Paint to paint armor.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-20, 01:31:03 »
extant painted armor like the painted sallets use an oil based paint.  I don't think milk paint will stick to steel, it usually requires a porous surface.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-20, 17:32:58 »
I believe milk paint was used on wooden shields (or other porous surfaces as Ian suggests).
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-22, 16:15:51 »
Need a porous service for milk paint and then it needs a sealer as it will run when it gets wet....oil paint is best!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-23, 07:13:25 »
The milk paint website says it can be used on metal, but a special bonding agent is recomended. I need to rethink this, I guess. Oil based paint isn't going to give me the look I am invisioning in my head, so either I will just go with the oil based paint or I will abandon painting the breastplate altogether. I haven't decided it. Thanks for the input.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-23, 12:58:26 »
remember if it gets hit or another metal surface touches it, it's going to scrap off.

i suggest powder coating lol

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #6 on: 2014-08-23, 16:00:56 »
Treat it like your car. Bring it to the body shop. LOL
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2014-08-23, 19:25:27 »
Powder coating is actually very durable and perfect for a single piece item like a breastplate. I tried to get a few local powder-coating companies to do a harness for me, but nobody would.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-08-23, 21:07:45 »
Powder coating is actually very durable and perfect for a single piece item like a breastplate. I tried to get a few local powder-coating companies to do a harness for me, but nobody would.

James, why wouldn't they?  I know powder coating armor is not the normal powder coating job, but it's just a piece of steel as far as they're concerned.  I'm kinda surprised they turned you away.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #9 on: 2014-08-24, 00:26:22 »
Normal powder coating is kind of heavy compared to paint, and it's fantastic at retaining heat. I've used it on motorcycle parts but would never put it in my plate armor.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-08-25, 21:38:43 »

James, why wouldn't they?  I know powder coating armor is not the normal powder coating job, but it's just a piece of steel as far as they're concerned.  I'm kinda surprised they turned you away.

One called me back and I gave them details and they never called back again. One said they only take large / commercial jobs (some high price minimum, maybe $1k+ I don't remember since it was a couple years back). The other I couldn't even get to return my call. I figured work is work, but since I couldn't even get call-backs I don't think they wanted to deal with it at all.

I got some blackened leg armor from Maxim last year and I like the look of it so I didn't pursue it any further. I'm thinking a custom bike / car shop might be able to do it, if I decide to revisit. I toyed with red/gold powder coating and doing a medieval Ironman kind of thing. I still might, eventually...
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #11 on: 2014-08-29, 04:13:40 »
Canvas it then paint it...that is what I have done with mine!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD