Main > The Library

How to put on 12th century armor

<< < (4/11) > >>

Sir William:
I wear padding, but that is because I'm unused to bearing the weight; I've no doubt that if I wore it regularly, it wouldn't be as onerous.

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-07-22, 17:05:37 ---
--- Quote from: Squire Douglas on 2014-07-22, 15:50:28 ---I always assumed the striped sleeves peeking out from the mufflers on some effigies was a quilted/padded garment. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

--- End quote ---

That effigy is mid to late 13th century.

--- End quote ---

Ah, right. We're talking the 1100s here. Got confused, sorry. :-[

These guys are late 12th century. While it looks to me that they have the same striped sleeves, it's not quite as clear and compelling as the later effigies. I'm not quite as convinced on these ones, but...maybe?

Sir Edward:
The armoring sequence also depicts the second half of the 13th century, not the 12th, if it's showing a great helm.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-07-22, 19:18:04 ---The armoring sequence also depicts the second half of the 13th century, not the 12th, if it's showing a great helm.

--- End quote ---

12th century would be showing nasal style helms.  Although this manuscript claims to be dated to the year 1200 and shows full head coverage, but it's the exception not the rule if that date is even correct:

However, early great helms pop up in the early 13th century from multiple regions and sources, not necessarily just the second half.

I have no idea when the first evidence for a padded or quilted underlayer for maille appears though.

Lord Dane:
What about early pot helmets or barrel styles??
Still looking for something more accurate or closer to 12th century but I found this effigy dated 1217.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version