Main > The Library

How to put on 12th century armor

<< < (5/11) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2014-07-22, 20:44:40 ---What about early pot helmets or barrel styles??

--- End quote ---

Aside from that one outlier, they start to pop up in art around 1215ish...

1215 Italian Fresco:

1225 Switzerland:

~1215-1240 France:

1225-1229 Germany:

1230 France:

1217 England:

1240 England:

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-07-22, 20:39:23 ---However, early great helms pop up in the early 13th century from multiple regions and sources, not necessarily just the second half.

--- End quote ---

True, what I should have said was that later style great-helms appear in the second half of the 13th. The one in the armoring sequence looks like a later, barrel-shaped great helm to me, rather than the high-backed, or faceplate styles that you tend to see in the first half of the century.

Thorsteinn:
Baeyeaux Tapestry shos something, and I know that the Romans used padding in their Hamata.

Sir Wolf:
tapestry shows a later date of people who got bored sewing . multiple versions of mail. even the bishop odo
Romans, now Romans at least knew of something. a Subarmalis. found in one writing. nothing physical in drawings, paintings, finds, lists/rosters etc
i can not remember the quote, but during the crusades the western crusaders were bewildered about the Mediterraneans having coats of layers.

so WESTERN Europe. i do believe up until the maybe late 12thc early 13thc had nothing more than woolen tunics. felted maybe. maybe thick wool maybe. but theres no evidence to show any thing else.  i know in the absence of evidence blah blah, save that thought for the hitler channel or syfy lol

Sir James A:
From a practical stand point, mail without padding is not good protection against swords; you won't get cut, but bones will break like candy. And broken rings driven into flesh, from not having padding, would be an unpleasant experience (if not death from infection).

I have no problem wearing mail over a t-shirt to walk around or piddle. But for combat? No way. I'm also a soft 21st century guy, so, who knows. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version