Main > The Library

How to put on 12th century armor

<< < (3/11) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-07-22, 11:36:09 ---really? can't say i've ever worn padding before.

--- End quote ---

Isn't this true for Viking era as well?

Lord Dane:
Even early eastern armor had some form of linen layered between or underneath. Lamellar would be interwoven with fabric. I would imagine when western armor started it involved layers of cloth, linen, leather, or some combination prior to maille , scales, or plate pieces being common place or standard.

Sir Douglas:
I always assumed the striped sleeves peeking out from the mufflers on some effigies was a quilted/padded garment. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-07-22, 11:56:56 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-07-22, 11:36:09 ---really? can't say i've ever worn padding before.

--- End quote ---

Isn't this true for Viking era as well?

--- End quote ---

I was under the impression Vikings layered several tunics beneath their maille and they didn't start using aketons until they came in contact with the Rus (who got them from the khazars).

Ian:

--- Quote from: Squire Douglas on 2014-07-22, 15:50:28 ---I always assumed the striped sleeves peeking out from the mufflers on some effigies was a quilted/padded garment. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

--- End quote ---

That effigy is mid to late 13th century.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version