Main > The Armoury

Historical Robin Hood kit

<< < (5/8) > >>

Sir Wolf:
long bow. thats what you want.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-06-25, 01:38:36 ---long bow. thats what you want.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, if you want to pass for English, there's only one bow :)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-25, 02:25:55 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-06-25, 01:38:36 ---long bow. thats what you want.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, if you want to pass for English, there's only one bow :)

--- End quote ---

Agreed, just don't get an authentic pull weight

Sir Ulrich:
Would the bows on KOA named Rudder bows be anybit good?
http://www.kultofathena.com/rudderbows.asp
I havent seen any reviews on them but they look decent and historical to me.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2014-06-27, 19:27:03 ---Would the bows on KOA named Rudder bows be anybit good?
http://www.kultofathena.com/rudderbows.asp
I havent seen any reviews on them but they look decent and historical to me.

--- End quote ---

You should lose that vinyl grip they put on them, and stick with the bows that avoid bamboo.  Ideally you'd want a yew bow,  but I didn't see any actual yew bows there.  Non-yew bows are also historic, but bamboo is definitely not for Medieval Europe.

Yew was ideal because if you don't know it naturally does what people try to duplicate when they laminate bows.  Yew is naturally laminated.  You can see the darker heartwood and the creamy colored sapwood on one piece.  The sapwood is flexible and allows the bow to bend without breaking.  The heartwood resists compression and is where the power comes from in the release.  That's why yew was so sought after in Medieval England.  Yew staves were mandated by law to be imported with other goods at certain points in England.

Bowyers without access to yew, or to save money would laminate two different types of wood in order to provide similar properties to what yew does by itself. 

The natural two-tone of yew:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version