Main > The Campaign

Chivalric Weekend

<< < (5/8) > >>

Das Bill:
Yeah, here's the link to the photos that Todd Sullivan took:

http://www.freewebs.com/chivalricweekend/2008gallery.htm

There are far more than what I have, and they generally are much better than what I took as well. That was a really good event.

--- Quote ---Hah, there's a picture of Pete Kautz without his sunglasses. I'm amazed. :)

--- End quote ---

You know why he always wears the sunglasses? They're eye protection for when he's teaching. I always thought that was a smart idea.

Sir Edward:
Definitely a good idea. And much more stylish than safety goggles! :) Not like I'd ever actually pick on someone for wearing sunglasses a lot. :)

Oops, I posted that same photo link in my previous message, but used the "image" button instead of the "hyperlink" button. Fixed.

Das Bill:
The more I think back on this event, the more I'm starting to miss it. :)

It certainly isn't the same scale as WMAW, but it had the same spirit. There was a round table discussion on Saturday night around the bonfire, lead by Christian and Greg, which began with the question of why it is we do what we do. This was guided into the discussion of morality, ethical behaviour, and what Chivalric Arts mean in the modern world. This is a topic that can sometimes come across as a little hokey and cheesey, but it was treated with a gravity and respect that it deserves, and there were a number of very heartfelt commentaries throughout the discussion. The one thing that really hit home for me was just how strong our ties are in this community, and so much of this common bond is how these Chivalric arts tend to draw out some of the best in people.

I came to WMA because I like swords. But I stay because of the people I've met through it.

Sword Chick:
I think you summed up my feelings quite nicely.  I'm really sorry that I missed the round table.  That is a discussion I would truly like to have listened in on.  (I would have been too shy to say anything, but I would have been all ears.)

And, as far as the people I've met, well, I won't get too mushy here, but <punch on the shoulder for all of you>, I think y'all know how important you've become to me.

Sir Edward:

Absolutely, I agree. I've been extremely impressed with the whole community. I've been a part of many different online communities before, but this community transcends the online aspects and tends to build some very real face to face friendships.

I know what you mean about how some of the discussion could, on the surface, sound hokey to those outside of it. But I know what you mean, and I really regret having missed the Round Table. Chivalric ideals and arts definitely have a place in the modern world, even if for most people the context and details are different than they were in period.

I'd probably have mostly listened, like Pamela, with perhaps one or two comments added in here and there. I have a tendency to be much more eloquent in writing than in person, and even then not usually on short notice. I can't think fast enough during a live discussion, so my shy side takes over. :)  (but then, I have this odd fascination with "kicking the bee hive", so to speak)

I'd have loved to take part in that.

We need to have some relatively local round tables or something. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version