Main > The Campaign

Chivalric Weekend

<< < (6/8) > >>

Sword Chick:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-06-20, 03:32:27 ---We need to have some relatively local round tables or something. :)

--- End quote ---

That's a really really good idea.   8)  I have so many thoughts on this subject that bounce in and out of my head like a pinball table on tilt.  I would enjoy hearing others with similar ideals put them into words.  I haven't been able to find a way to phrase my thoughts in order to accurately convey them to others. 

Warning Labyrinth reference ahead...I'm sure I'm making it far too complicated in my head.  After all "Say the right words," turned out to be remarkably simple.

Das Bill started a thread on this topic quite some time ago:  http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,87.0.html

Christian Tobler:
Hello folks,

Thanks, Bill, for the kind words on the event. And thanks again for coming - your presence added much to the enterprise and on many levels.

Indeed, a round table discussion of this sort could come off as hokum, if not done carefully. But, ironically, when we do such things at Selohaar gathers at home, where everyone's in garb, they're run much the same way as this past weekend's discourse was.

I think this has much to do with the "backward looking" nature of chivalry in all its incarnations. Knights and writers expounding on the chivalric ideal, in the 14th century, harkened back to the mythical days of Arthur, or the earlier historic days of the crusader Godfroi de Bouillon, for exemplars of what it meant to be a noble man of arms. Undoubtedly, they did this in the language of their day, rather than trying to 'act' as if they were those characters. So there's always been a combination of drawing from the past while finding a voice for the present, whether one was sitting in discourse at the court of Edward III or sitting around a fire in 21st upstate New York.

All the best,

Christian

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Christian Tobler on 2008-06-20, 15:09:11 ---I think this has much to do with the "backward looking" nature of chivalry in all its incarnations. Knights and writers expounding on the chivalric ideal, in the 14th century, harkened back to the mythical days of Arthur, or the earlier historic days of the crusader Godfroi de Bouillon, for exemplars of what it meant to be a noble man of arms. Undoubtedly, they did this in the language of their day, rather than trying to 'act' as if they were those characters. So there's always been a combination of drawing from the past while finding a voice for the present, whether one was sitting in discourse at the court of Edward III or sitting around a fire in 21st upstate New York.
--- End quote ---

Very much agreed.

It is unfortunately very "trendy" these days to look at something which is idealistic and to tear it down into something base. This is true of many historians, many college professors, many elements of pop culture, and even many Joe Schmoes who think tearing such things down make them "counter-culture" and therefore smarter than everyone else. :) At one point in my life, I used to buy into it, even if deep down inside I was more idealistic than what I paid lip service to.

mortuary3:
Looks like it was a grand time indeed.

Really enjoyed the photos from the event.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sword Chick on 2008-06-20, 14:19:37 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-06-20, 03:32:27 ---We need to have some relatively local round tables or something. :)

--- End quote ---

That's a really really good idea.   8)  I have so many thoughts on this subject that bounce in and out of my head like a pinball table on tilt.  I would enjoy hearing others with similar ideals put them into words.  I haven't been able to find a way to phrase my thoughts in order to accurately convey them to others. 

--- End quote ---

Well, I think Bill needs to buy a house with a grand hall, and a large circular table in the middle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version