Main > The Armoury

13th and 14th c. Kits

<< < (11/20) > >>

Sir Douglas:
I've yet to handle a "real" sword, most of my weapons are mere wallhangers. As blasphemous as it may sound to this group, if I were to shell out 800 bucks for a weapon, I'd be slightly more inclined to choose a nice handgun. At least I know how to properly use those. ;) One day, though, I'd like to get my hands on a really high-quality, combat-ready sword like an Albion. I think the closest thing I own to a high-quality sword is Anduril from Lord of the Rings. While it's an absolutely beautifully-made sword and currently the crown of my collection, I still doubt it has the same feel as a real sword, and I'd never attempt to swing it around or fight with it.

Mike W.:
I've had a few wallhangers and even a few antique North African swords and military sabres, but I will say nothing compares at all to the feel of an Albion. I was lucky enough to acquire a Senlac at a bargain price and I must say it feels like a natural extension to my arm. It's so perfectly balanced and handles so nicely, I could swing it all day.  ;D

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-02-27, 19:43:17 ---I've yet to handle a "real" sword, most of my weapons are mere wallhangers. As blasphemous as it may sound to this group, if I were to shell out 800 bucks for a weapon, I'd be slightly more inclined to choose a nice handgun. At least I know how to properly use those. ;) One day, though, I'd like to get my hands on a really high-quality, combat-ready sword like an Albion. I think the closest thing I own to a high-quality sword is Anduril from Lord of the Rings. While it's an absolutely beautifully-made sword and currently the crown of my collection, I still doubt it has the same feel as a real sword, and I'd never attempt to swing it around or fight with it.

--- End quote ---

You know, I remember posting a few years ago that I just couldn't see spending more for a sword than for a handgun. And then I did. And then I did so again, and again. Once you get over that hurdle, it's addicting! :)

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-02-27, 19:43:17 ---I've yet to handle a "real" sword, most of my weapons are mere wallhangers. As blasphemous as it may sound to this group, if I were to shell out 800 bucks for a weapon, I'd be slightly more inclined to choose a nice handgun. At least I know how to properly use those. ;) One day, though, I'd like to get my hands on a really high-quality, combat-ready sword like an Albion. I think the closest thing I own to a high-quality sword is Anduril from Lord of the Rings. While it's an absolutely beautifully-made sword and currently the crown of my collection, I still doubt it has the same feel as a real sword, and I'd never attempt to swing it around or fight with it.
--- End quote ---

I recall back when I was first getting interested in going to Renfaires I met a guy at PARF who didn’t have anything impressive in the way of garb but said his sword was an Albion and that it cost him over a thousand dollars. At the time, I of course didn’t know what was so significant about Albions but I remember discussing with my wife and wondered why anyone would spend that much money for something you couldn’t even take out and show off at a renfaire. Yet a few years later when I started WMA and learned how to really use several different types of swords I understood the significance and preference for a well balanced and high quality blade is worth every penny of the cost. I also had the advantage and privilege of Sir Edward as a friend who has an immense collection of blades that I could swing around and try out before I invested in my Albion Talhoffer. I use it from time to time to keep the plastic bottles from overrunning my back deck. :)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-02-27, 19:43:17 ---As blasphemous as it may sound to this group, if I were to shell out 800 bucks for a weapon, I'd be slightly more inclined to choose a nice handgun.

--- End quote ---

Problem: Sword is more expensive than a hand gun.
Solution: Buy a sword and start buying more expensive hand guns so the sword is still cheaper.

Problem: Hand guns are more expensive than a sword.
Solution: Buy more expensive / custom swords so that hand guns are cheaper.

Problem: Run out of space for hand guns and swords.
Solution: Give them to Sir James and start over again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version