Main > The Armoury

13th and 14th c. Kits

(1/20) > >>

Aiden of Oreland:
I am looking to make multiple kits from different centuries. Currently, I am focusing on 13th and 14th. One of the problems about this is that it is really expensive to do both. So I am going to cheat a little and buy curtain parts of armor seen through multiple centuries that I can use for multiple kits. So again, currently I am looking to complete a 13th c. and 14th c. kits.

For as far as maille goes, I realize the style of the maille shirt, mittens, and head wear were different. But as for chausses, I know they were used in both centuries. A problem is I don't know what kind of style maille to get. Say full round ring riveted, flat ring riveted, or either flat or round ring riveted that is intergrated. On that note, I have been looking at chausses. I know allbeststuff has legging that are my size. I believe that on one of the posts it was said to be pretty good quality for Indian made maille. I could buy just chausses from there, but they do have an intergrated, as you could say, super hauberk. It has a attached coif w/ a ventail, attached mittens, and a pair of chausses. It is made from 9mm, 18 gauge rings. The mittens seem to have maille on both sides of the hand(why idk) so I would just knock off a side and add a good leather palm with a split in it to be able to slide my hands out. Of coarse this thing will be a pain in the butt to get into so I will have to split open the back of the hauberk and add leather and strings. I would also cut open the back of the chausses and do the same. This is also great because it will make my maille snug methinks. I am aware of capapie and other maille places but I don't exactly have loads of money. I am not quite sure if this will work out but i am crossing my fingers. If you want you can go to allbeststuff and examine their goods. http://allbeststuff.com/Riveted-Chain-Mail-Suit-Hauberk-Mittens-Coif-Ventail-Legging-Black-Finish

For my 13th century kit I am only going to buy one type of plate armor and that is the helm. I'm very interested in a Dargen Great helm. Royal Oak armory has a realllyyy nice one. Its $700 but man its beautiful.

I am not sure what too wear under my chausses. Do I get normal wool or linen chausses or padded ones. For foot wear I am a little stumped. Sir Ian if I am correct this is your field. I don't know what kind of shoes or boots one would wear under their chausses or 14th c. sabatons.

Okey, here comes the 14th century armor. I'm think of a kit after 1350. For the torso I had in mind a gambeson, maille haubergeon (that comes a little past the elbows), a coat of plates over that, and jupon over that. I am slightly confused about a jupon. Is it padded or is it just a short surcoat? What ever it is I plan to make one with straps or strings on the sides to make it just right. I am almost curtain that this was done. For the arms I may get, i guess, wisby gauntlets and splinted forearms. For my head, i was thinking about getting either a bascinet or secret helm w/ aventail under a Pembridge Greathelm. For the legs, i was thinking shin guards and soupcan knees that are flanged? Possibly sabatons too.

For all of the clothing or cloth products I plan to make myself. I want to really get into making my own things. Like leather making, sowing, etc. any links on how to make things like gambesons and such would be awesome. I have taken some notes from other threads and posts. Sadly i am completely befuddled on how to make braises... I have instructions but it isn't like the ones for my LEGO sets.

I think that about covers everything. Any ideas or suggestion are most appreciated. I want to spend wisely and have accurate kits. I have a good idea on different sites that I can buy a lot of this stuff on. Sorry if this is a bit of a mouthful.

Here are some pictures that I have looked at that seem to have some elements that I want.

As seen in figure 1, he has a coat of plates over his maille,( just like in figure 3 and what i believe in figure 2) also he has plate or splinted arms with, i guess you could say, splinted gauntlets, again like in figure 2 and 3. Figure 2 and 3 have those shin guards and soup can knees I was talking about. As seen in the top left of figure 2, he has a secret helm w/ aventail also with the maille coming up over the nose. I show figure 4 to demonstrate the helm and mittens. These are illustration pictures so they may be a bit off. Hold on, im having a bit of trouble with the pictures.

Aiden of Oreland:
Here they are

EDIT: oh never mind, stupid phone wont let me properly edit it. Ignore the photos

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-02-18, 05:04:43 ---I am looking to make multiple kits from different centuries.

--- End quote ---

Mwahahahaha!!!!!

I'll answer some of the questions in a bit when I have more time. :)

Aiden of Oreland:
Ya is this a historically accurate kit? Should I make this purchase? If so will I be able to use maille legs from the 13th century with my 14th c. kit?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-02-19, 03:54:07 ---Ya is this a historically accurate kit? Should I make this purchase? If so will I be able to use maille legs from the 13th century with my 14th c. kit?

--- End quote ---

Check the first post, it's all the same pic.. I'm not sure what you mean with figure 2 and 3 yet

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version