Main > The Armoury

My Armor kit - Historical Fiction?

<< < (12/14) > >>

Sir Martyn:
My mistake on the knee cops as indeed I do still want to go with splinted or steel arms & legs, though I was thinking you could point the shoulder cops like roundels to the COP.

I don't have that big an issue with dents (I think - or at least when wearing Sir Brian's helm), so ir relatively durable should be OK I hope.

Sir Martyn:
So, faire season has compelled me to dust off my quest for a good, authentic all around harness. 

I was showing/discussing the Wasson great helm with Brian and Ed this past weekend and it looks like it's not big enough to really accommodate the bascinet/cervelliere underneath and with no way to secure it (no chin strap) would not be safe/suitable for fighting - so will carry the raven crest only I suppose :(

I came across these fellows at Age of Craft (noted Jorge had been checking them out at one time as well) and with WintertreeCrafts still shut down, looking like my best bet (http://ageofcraft.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_69&product_id=136) for splint arms and legs, along with the Chalkis type 1 CoP. 

They propose to use wool (green and black) on the exterior surfaces (heavy canvas interior), which they say is historic, will wear better and show less fight marks than if using leather - thoughts on that?

Ian:

--- Quote from: Martyn on 2015-05-01, 02:18:15 ---They propose to use wool (green and black) on the exterior surfaces (heavy canvas interior), which they say is historic, will wear better and show less fight marks than if using leather - thoughts on that?

--- End quote ---

You're talking about just the CoP right?  It's historical.  The original Chalcis Type 2 was constructed with the plates attached to a double layer of canvas, not leather.  I'm not sure if any of the attachment medium survived from the Type 1.  Many other extant CoPs use textile instead of leather as a medium for the plate attachment. 

From the Met:

And a backplate from a CoP:

You can plainly see the weave of the textile.

Sir James A:
Mad Matt does splinted gear and coat of plates. Forge of Svan does as well. You could look into them for additional options / comparisons.

Sir Martyn:
Thx James.  I did look at Matt's and Svan.  I'll probably get some shoulders  from Svan but with their brigandine pieces it's hard to see if they have overlapping plates, etc.  And I just really like the AoC look even if pricier

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version