"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Helmet Question  (Read 14558 times)

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
Re: Helmet Question
« Reply #30 on: 2014-02-15, 04:15:12 »
Yes I did, and I feel a little silly for not checking the dates. I've been doing this long enough to know better ;D. That is a really cool helm and I don't believe I've ever seen a reproduction of that particular style. Thanks for posting it!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #31 on: 2014-02-19, 19:11:19 »
There are surviving examples of the international style (ie: conical) visored bascinets from as early as 1360, and the predominantly German klapvisor predates that by at least a decade (though there is plenty of evidence of English using them as well).

With a new impression, your first question should always be "How historical do I want this to be?". Your answer will be based on circumstances, like whether you intend it for living history, actual fighting or just renfaire use, and your available budget. But once this difficult choice is made, everything else should fall into place. If you decide that you're OK stretching history a bit, it is my opinion that due to the fact that period art, effigies, rolls and brasses are so unreliable as a means of 100% positive identification of what was and was not at any one particular point in time and geography, that you should still be OK to stretch the limits by about 10 years either direction. But perhaps I misspoje when I said your first concern should be how historical you want to be. After all, you'll get far more satisfaction out of wearing what you want than being "perfectly uninteresting" to yourself.

Scott

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2014-02-19, 19:27:25 »
Hi Scott, welcome to the forums; I remember you from the AA.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #33 on: 2014-02-19, 20:25:59 »
Not to hijack the thread, but thanks! I hope I made a good impression there :)

Ian and I bump into each other online a sometimes as our tastes and views on armor are similar, and he once invited me here. I thought although that was a while back that I'd come see what's up over here.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and back to the helmets!

Somewhere I read that those Cornwell novels are popular, and if I recall in the depiction of Crecy the knights are wearing visors on their helms... not that a fiction novel has anything to do with a historical discussion... except that his depiction of how those visored helms were used seemed particularly spot on to me. Worth reading for that at least.

Scott

Scott

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #34 on: 2014-02-19, 21:00:31 »
Hail and welcome to the Forum, Scott!  Thanks for the helmet advice!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #35 on: 2014-02-19, 21:35:40 »
Aye, welcome to the forum! :)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2014-02-19, 21:39:49 »
Somewhere I read that those Cornwell novels are popular, and if I recall in the depiction of Crecy the knights are wearing visors on their helms... not that a fiction novel has anything to do with a historical discussion... except that his depiction of how those visored helms were used seemed particularly spot on to me. Worth reading for that at least.
Scott

I'm a big Cornwell fan and wondered at how accurate his depiction of arms, armor and tactics for that period were.  As the largely uninformed reader (not with the 14th C yet) I wasn't sure, but it all read well.

He does make numerous references to 'ringmail coats' that seem different from a hauberk; I got the impression it was a leather coat with rings sewn/attached on (if only because he makes much of the leather backing being wet and rank from repeated use etc) and most everyone seemed to wear (or wanted to) long leather boots...but each one of his books, including the Sharpe series, has been a rollicking good read.  If you check in the Library section, you'll find some reviews and discussion of some of the books of his I've read.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2014-02-19, 22:39:27 »
Ian and I bump into each other online a sometimes as our tastes and views on armor are similar, and he once invited me here. I thought although that was a while back that I'd come see what's up over here.

Hey Scott!  Glad you came by to check us out!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #38 on: 2014-02-20, 19:18:43 »
Welcome Scott! I followed some of your stuff on AA too! These guys are great!