Main > The Courtyard

Ouch.

<< < (3/11) > >>

Sir William:
As with any sport, once the blood's up- only the truly disciplined could adhere to a force policy...everyone else will be swinging for the fences after a time I'd think.  Sounds like fun for a day!

Those euro groups you allude to sound like what they do is more dangerous and more fun as well.  No stabbing though, I should think.

Sir Edward:

Fighting with rebated steel requires everyone to be on the same page about not using full force, or else severe injuries are more than possible. Recently a lot of the WMA/HEMA groups have started investigating the plastic trainers, since they can be relatively safe compared to wood (more flex and more bounce). But any simulator will have its share of drawbacks.

When it comes to a choice between wood and steel, there are different opinions out there on the safety of each. Some feel steel is much safer. It bends and can be made light. Wooden wasters have no give to them, and can hit like baseball bats.

Personally I like doing the drills with steel, and some light sparring. If we're going to go faster/heavier, shinai can still work well, as can the newer plastic trainers.

SirNathanQ:
I find that if all involved have good control and trust, one can use steel to have some fairly vigourous sparring. Although I do plan to get my hands on some synthetic foam (not LARP stuff) wasters, for going full contact. (But you must be ready for some bruises if using steel, but it's mainly from landing on the sword after being thrown and such)

Sir William:
I've seen some of those new plastic trainers in MRL's catalog...might give them a go and see how I like it.  We may all have to get one for sparring sessions initially until we're all in a trusting frame of mind.  :)

SirNathanQ:
While I love sparring w/ steel, if I had the resources I would make all sparring w/ foam. Never know what can happen. (However, when it's me and my trusted friend whom I've been friends with for over 2/3 of my life, the steel comes out  ;D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version